1275MIN

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 05:34 PM

Hi Lads,
I've got another question for you.
Do you need to move the engine mounts on the frount of the subframe. The reason i ask is that i have heard of people using an 'automatic' subframe! I cant get hold of one of these so can i just re-drill my manual subframe? If so how far? frount? back?
Any info would be great! Thanks :grin:

#2 Turbo Nick

Turbo Nick

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,913 posts
  • Local Club: Turbominis.co.uk

Posted 17 April 2005 - 05:49 PM

no need to drill your subframe at all dude, just use the normal mounts and an adjustable top engine steady, there's plenty of clearence around the back if you just tip the engine forward a couple of degrees with the adjustable bar.

Posted Image

#3 flameredturbo

flameredturbo

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 05:52 PM

yer, mine was very tight when it went in, the engine builder had to smash the bulkhead a bit more, now the engine steadys on though its fine, havent driven it yet though so dono if it will bang! beter not!!

#4 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 17 April 2005 - 06:32 PM

a 90s cooper subframe has the engine mounts further foward

#5 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 09:45 PM

As Bungle suggests you need to use an injection subframe, not an automatice one. This has the engine mount holes drilled further toward the front of the car, that's the only important difference. You can re-drill your own frame to move the engine further forward, measure your own frame and then find a mate with an injection car and compare the measurement. It's simple enough. You don't want to be whacking the bulkhead box with a hammer after doing all the work to it!

#6 Turbo Phil

Turbo Phil

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,418 posts
  • Local Club: Cumbria Classic Mini Club

Posted 17 April 2005 - 10:18 PM

I don't use an Injection subframe, haven't drilled the mounting holes further forward & i don't know anybody that has done.
Total waste of time, all you'll be doing is limiting space at the front of the engine even more. So you'll have less space for a decent intercooler etc
With a proper bulkhead box and a standard subframe there's no shortage of room, so don't worry.

Phil. :)

PS. It's worth getting the adjustable top engine steady, as suggested. Very useful.

#7 evolotion

evolotion

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 11:51 PM

as above, no need to re-drill mounts, tho a slightly longer top-steady is sometimes needed, depends how deep and low your bulkhead box is.

#8 wolfie

wolfie

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 11:08 PM

as above

as above again

i have not drilled or changed my subframe and i dont know anyone that has, i have got a kad engine steady but that only to get a few extra mm space for the back of the plenum

#9 mighty_mini

mighty_mini

Sambo Spoon

• Members
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 06:07 AM

same here :lol: miisports adjustable top steady, its amasing how much space u gain behind with just a slight tilt on the engine.

#10 Turbo Nick

Turbo Nick

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,913 posts
  • Local Club: Turbominis.co.uk

Posted 24 June 2005 - 08:47 PM

found out the other day that my cars fitted with an injection subframe.....fu**ing lazy stupid idiot :lol: at rover, no wonder they went tits up!

mine was a carb'd cooper originally and while i was undoing the engine mouts i noticed an extra pair of holes, checked my mates carb cooper and its the same aswell. no wonder space was always tight at the front for an intercooler!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users