#1 Tricksta123

Tricksta123

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Local Club: just a few m8s no name :)

Posted 10 March 2008 - 11:22 PM

hey there people im new to the mini forum but have recently bought a mini 1000. i noticed people were doing all sorts of things to minis and thought i would have a go myself. iv been looking at all sorts of engines and a friend of mine said its possible to lump a 2.2 prelude vtec engine into my mini pretty easily. just wondered if anybody knows if this can be done or not or if im wasting my time looking at the engines.

thanx

nick >_<

#2 Turbo Nick

Turbo Nick

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,913 posts
  • Local Club: Turbominis.co.uk

Posted 11 March 2008 - 12:38 AM

i'd have thought it'd be a lot of work personally. i was looking at the size of them and thought it'd be a squeeze into my crx let alone a mini's engine bay.

From what my mates told me (he's got a prelude vti) they aren't really that tuneable either, best bet would be a b18 type R lump, similar sort of power out the box and much more tuning potential.

#3 Tricksta123

Tricksta123

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Local Club: just a few m8s no name :)

Posted 11 March 2008 - 10:23 PM

ohh right fair enough then i was thinkin of a rear engine conversion but im not sure if ill even have enough room to do that :S

ohh well lots more conversions to think about :cry:

#4 v8mini

v8mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts
  • Local Club: Minis on the run

Posted 11 March 2008 - 10:33 PM

i'm sure zcars do a 2.2 vtec kit, not sure if its exactly the same lump, but could be simular

#5 Ferrina1275

Ferrina1275

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 07:35 PM

The 2.2 is a lot heavier and not that much more powerful than 1.6VTi lump. Smaller engine spool up faster than bigger ones, as the 1.8 ford Zetec engine compared with the 2.0L version.

I'd fit the 1.6 ESi engine and turbo it!!

#6 Peskett

Peskett

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Local Club: 16v Mini Club forum

Posted 16 March 2008 - 04:21 PM

The 2.2 is a lot heavier and not that much more powerful than 1.6VTi lump. Smaller engine spool up faster than bigger ones, as the 1.8 ford Zetec engine compared with the 2.0L version.

I'd fit the 1.6 ESi engine and turbo it!!

If you find a jdm h22 its a standard 197bhp from a 4th gen prelude of 220bhp from a 5th gen.

#7 MIGLIACARS

MIGLIACARS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 12:35 PM

THE 2.2 PRELUDE LUMP IS HUGE AND HEAVY NOT EXTREMLY POWERFUL, WHY WOULD U WANT TO PUT ONE IN A MINI. THE 1.6 IS A FAR BETTER LUMP U CAN GET 200 BHP FROM ONE NO PROBS. FORGET THE TURBO THERE QUICK ENOUGH WITHOUT. ITS BEEN DONE TRYED AND TESTED.
KEEP IT UP FRONT THEY HANDLE BETTER.

#8 Fevmeister

Fevmeister

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Local Club: Central Mini

Posted 25 March 2008 - 07:15 PM

THE 2.2 PRELUDE LUMP IS HUGE AND HEAVY NOT EXTREMLY POWERFUL, WHY WOULD U WANT TO PUT ONE IN A MINI. THE 1.6 IS A FAR BETTER LUMP U CAN GET 200 BHP FROM ONE NO PROBS. FORGET THE TURBO THERE QUICK ENOUGH WITHOUT. ITS BEEN DONE TRYED AND TESTED.

TRU DAT!!

#9 Mark@IR

Mark@IR

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 10:59 PM

Hmm..

2.2 v-tec is only 75kg heavier, tis an alu block.

Creates 197bhp as standard form in a JDM, engine will cost you about £300 with 100k on the clock.

Whack on a Fidanza 8lb flywheel and it'll spin up fast enough.

Plenty of modifications available for the 2.2, being able to tune the cars N/A to crazy power. More then you'd be able to put to the floor.

In the prelude, the 2.2 with 250hp struggles to keep the tyres to the floor.. so in a car half the weight, you'll have real problems.

Other issue you're really going to face is hitting the floor with it. When you do a conversion into a CRX you have problems with hitting the sump, so in the mini it'll be dragging along the floor.

That said, i wish i had the knowledge to be able to do this.. You'd seriously have to alter the mini loads, and probably make it 4wd to keep the power down.

So, cost wise, 1.6 will be your best bet.

Anywho.. thought i'd add my 2p

#10 JA1987

JA1987

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Local Club: Redditch Mini Owners Club

Posted 12 June 2008 - 01:13 AM

Was this not been done in america? Dont know if it was spaceframed but im pretty sure it
has been done.

#11 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts
  • Local Club: 16vMini club

Posted 12 June 2008 - 05:08 PM

A 2.2 prelude engine will go in, lets face it - almost any engine can go in if your pockets are deep enough?

The Z-cars one is a 2.4 standard vtec engine, not a type r, I think they where in the accords?? Not sure??

It has a monte carlo spaceframe, no subframes, and a rotex supercharger wacked on, engine obviously in the back and intercooler errm where your rear window would be! Now thats cool :(

I was looking at either 1.6/1.8 vtec for my conversion which may happen sometime :) , think you might be better off choosing one of these, tried and tested by many

:(

Edited by Kam, 13 June 2008 - 08:43 AM.

#12 M1N1C00P3R1275

M1N1C00P3R1275

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Local Club: Minifinity

Posted 26 June 2008 - 01:05 PM

TRU DAT!!

Ur back Fev how are u? and ur cars?

#13 The Pogg

The Pogg

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 09:41 PM

i recall seing a space framed mid engined maquire arched mini in australia with the H22A2 engine in the back and IIRC it may have also been boosted!

Would love to see a h22A2 in a mini, would be damn ace! Although the H22A2 engine is a fair old lump and it damn heavy! So would most probably best suit Mid engined cars!

#14 The Pogg

The Pogg

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 09:47 PM

this discusion will go on forever and a day and no one will ever be happy!

Yes the H22A2 engine is a lot bigger and a bit heavier than the B16/18 but i have to completely disagree with you when you say they are not powerfull!

Having owned D16's, B16's, B18's and H22's i must say nothing comes relativley close to the H22 engine! I was running mine in a Ek civic and the H22 Was by far withought a doubt the best engine out of the lot with the B18 coming way in second! Between the B16 and B18 there isnt much in it at all to be fair! Only thing which comes close to the H22A2 is either the F22 (S2000 engine) or the K24A 9out of the new DC5's) and there is a huge price differance betwen a H22A2 engine and either a F22 or K24. I actually converted my Civic from a B18 to a H22 and the H22 conversion was almost 1/4 cheaper than the B18 and was a thousand times better!

i know of street legal home tuneed H22a2's which are throwing down High 10second runs which to be frank is unbeliveable! i dont think many B16's can say that!

EDIT

Also... its not easy at all to get 200bhp from a B16 (speeking from personal exsperiance here as well, not what a friend of a friend has said!) they need A LOT of work time and money spent on them! depending on what model B16 an average figure is between 140-180 to be honest! where as the H22 was turned out of the factory with 200-220BHP IIRC again depending on what model!

I am not trying to come across as i am right you are all wrong but this is just what i have gathered from my personal exsperiance from years of working with honda engines!

Edited by The Pogg, 26 June 2008 - 09:52 PM.

#15 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts
  • Local Club: 16vMini club

Posted 28 June 2008 - 09:52 PM

The Pogg - I take it these experiences are in honda cars and not mini based cars? Its good to know the different honda engine ownerships though, that will help give an idea to them.

Hmm..

2.2 v-tec is only 75kg heavier, tis an alu block.

Creates 197bhp as standard form in a JDM, engine will cost you about £300 with 100k on the clock.

Whack on a Fidanza 8lb flywheel and it'll spin up fast enough.

Plenty of modifications available for the 2.2, being able to tune the cars N/A to crazy power. More then you'd be able to put to the floor.

In the prelude, the 2.2 with 250hp struggles to keep the tyres to the floor.. so in a car half the weight, you'll have real problems.

Other issue you're really going to face is hitting the floor with it. When you do a conversion into a CRX you have problems with hitting the sump, so in the mini it'll be dragging along the floor.

That said, i wish i had the knowledge to be able to do this.. You'd seriously have to alter the mini loads, and probably make it 4wd to keep the power down.

So, cost wise, 1.6 will be your best bet.

Anywho.. thought i'd add my 2p

I think the above pretty much says it all?

Its good that people want to explore new ideas, but like the original OP asked can it be done, yes, but funds will decide how easy it is, personally stick with tried and tested methods, may not be new but you'll get plenty of help if any problems arise, unless your a brave soul?

:P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users