17 replies to this topic

#1 jimbo_edmondo

jimbo_edmondo

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 06:13 PM

I'd like to build a 1275 with around 80bhp, i currently have a metro 1275.

This engine is not in my car yet, i also hav a HIFF44 an MG inlet manifold all of the other standard MG bits apart from the cam, i've got a MG head with kent double springs as well. I am currently using a dtm backbox and would like to keep this as it looks good even if it doesn't have the performance enhancing effects of other exhausts.

Thinking about gettin the MG head all done nicely by Bluemini, other options include electronic ignition, high lift rockers etc.

I'd like to do this as cheaply as possible, any sensible suggestions would be great thanks guys.(and gals)

#2 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 19 April 2005 - 07:09 PM

80's not a problem at all, a standard MG Metro was designed to give 72, so simply start there, and move up, change the cam SW5 seems flavour of the month, change the carb for an HIF44, use a MG Metro Head, update your ignition, new coil points etc, nice LCB and system, basically a stage 1 for a 1275, and you should be getting nearer 90

#3 jimbo_edmondo

jimbo_edmondo

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 07:11 PM

Sounds cool, how easy is it to change a cam?? Don't really want to take the engine apart as it is running sweet at the mo no oil burnin or leaks

#4 andywaller

andywaller

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Local Club: turbominis.co.uk

Posted 19 April 2005 - 07:33 PM

this is the sorta spec i want to run in my mini swiftune are doin an offer in minimag for a sw5 cam oil pump ect. but they also do it with duplex verniers and full roller rockers.

dont know if its any use to you?

#5 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 07:40 PM

You say the engines out of the car, which is a good start, to do it without taking too much off the engine, you will have to remove the Harmonic damper ( the thing the fan belt goes round ) Timing cover, timing chain.... before you go any further, remove the rocker cover, rockers, and push rods... now lay the engine down on it's front ( empty the oil first ) as this will prevent the cam followers from droping into the gearbox.. undo the retaining plate for the cam, rotate the cam a couple of times ( this will push the followers up ) and withdraw slowly. Refit in reverse order...

Ideally when changing the cam the followers should be renewed aswell but that will necessitate the removal of the gearbox

However, all the above is speculation, as I've always stripped the engine....

#6 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 19 April 2005 - 09:27 PM

can you put grease on the end of the push rods so they stick to the cam followers and then pull them out ?

#7 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 09:46 PM

On a big bore block, the cam followers come out the bottom ( unless it's a cooper S block with the tappet chests )

#8 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 19 April 2005 - 09:54 PM

but dont you have to wiggle the push rods so that you dont pull the folowers out ?

#9 mighty_mini

mighty_mini

Sambo Spoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 12:16 AM

i bought 8 really strong rhedium magnets off ebay for about £3 and used chemical metal to old pushrods... holds then a treat as theyre strong and small. but thats only because my engine was in the car.

#10 jimbo_edmondo

jimbo_edmondo

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 10:03 AM

So what would you expect the out put to be with all the rest of the stuff without the cam?
That would be, 1275 with MG head, HIF44(MG inlet as well), LCB, electronic ignition?
I am still thinkin about the cam tho, the problem is i'm a student and have about as much money as a fish(not much lol).

#11 jimbo_edmondo

jimbo_edmondo

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 10:09 AM

Is it not possible to change the followers through the removable plates on the back of the block? I know we've had to move some through there after i didn't wiggle when removing the push rods once! oops. They fall over on to their side dont they? Or somethin like that

#12 998dave

998dave

998cc's Of Dave Goodness

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,566 posts
  • Name: Dave

Posted 20 April 2005 - 11:12 AM

Is it not possible to change the followers through the removable plates on the back of the block? I know we've had to move some through there after i didn't wiggle when removing the push rods once! oops. They fall over on to their side dont they? Or somethin like that

only if your engine has those removable plates...

#13 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 11:13 AM

you could if the 1275 had them...

#14 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 11:15 AM

and as for output with the current cam, depends what it is, as if it's a normal 1275 metro your not going to get anywhere near 70 let alone 90.

#15 jimbo_edmondo

jimbo_edmondo

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 11:31 AM

ok ok so the cam is pretty important then lol. Oh 1275s don't have those plates then lol, i've only played with 998s so far!
I'll have to dip into my student loan for this then...oh well thats what its for?!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users