7 replies to this topic

#1 Adcuz

Adcuz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 07:59 PM

Just got my self a welder, one of these dual purpose ones. Does flux core and gas. I was advised to get one of these as if I can't get on with gasless I can just go for gas.

So, any tips for a newbie?

#2 captain kirk

captain kirk

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 08:06 PM

Just got my self a welder, one of these dual purpose ones. Does flux core and gas. I was advised to get one of these as if I can't get on with gasless I can just go for gas.

So, any tips for a newbie?

i brought a sheet of metal to practice on welded bits standing up flat over lapping then tried to prise them apart with screwdrivers mole grips etc to see how strong my welds were,before i started on the car good luck!!!!!

#3 In-a-mini

In-a-mini

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts
  • Local Club: smag (southend mini action group)

Posted 14 March 2008 - 08:08 PM

Just practice really dont try to do things that are too advanced or you will just get frustraighted. get some offcuts of metal and have a play. I would advise to get an electric mask if you havent got one allready there are some out there really cheap about £30. the electric masks makes it so much easier. Good luck be patient

#4 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,129 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 14 March 2008 - 08:29 PM

Hi, there are some tutorials here:-

www.mig-welding.co.uk

They should help you out

Seamus

#5 jayare

jayare

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 08:30 PM

There are some good tips on this website: http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/

JR

Edit - beaten to it! great minds think alike though!

Edited by jayare, 14 March 2008 - 08:30 PM.

#6 Adcuz

Adcuz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 08:33 PM

Nice one, thanks for the replies.

Been pouring over that website for weeks now! Good isn't it?

I've got a spare boot floor section that I don't need now that I'm going to chop up and play about with.

#7 Angusdog

Angusdog

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 08:55 PM

Practice, practice, practice. I've never used flux-cored wire, but the word is it's not worth it for thin panel repairs.

Practice on clean steel, I bought a 4x8 sheet of 0.8 steel which is good for panel repairs as well. You can practice on scrap, but you need to remove all the paint, rust etc. Try and get really competent on thin steel. It's not hard, but try and sort the settings for your welder which work well.

I did a course on MIG and TIG at the local polytech - very, very highly recommended. Although the course enabled you to become certified if you wanted to, they also taught us oxy welding, plasma cutting, gas cutting, bronze welding and so on. Honestly, it's well worth doing. Tuesday evenings for 18 weeks.

Auto welding helmets are the mutts nuts - they make your welding much, much better.

Also when testing your welds, you should look at penetration - how much the weld comes through the other side without burning through. I can heartily recommend the Monster Garage How to Weld Damn Near Anything book - a great read, although biased towards performance welding (TIG welding chrome moly).

#8 Sam

Sam

Wish i was in T.O.W.I.E

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 09:00 PM

My advice is to get a decent helmet, my speedglas helmet improved my welding 100% (couldn't see anything before with a crappy cheap auto darkening one)

then practice..... :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users