#1 Supercharged_clubby

Supercharged_clubby

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Local Club: Skegness mini owners club

Posted 17 March 2008 - 05:46 PM

Hi there, my mini is currently having a bit of welding done. Its having new floor pans and a sill. I currently run ther car with carpets but am undertaking makeover to change the style of the car. I was thinking of running without carpets, back seats and keep it as bare as i can. However im not sure how good my floor will look even after it is painted if it has unsightly welds around the new floor pans... Is there anything i can do to hide them so you cant tell its had new floors? Thank you

#2 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,615 posts
  • Local Club: Medievil minis of Warwickshire

Posted 17 March 2008 - 05:50 PM

grind the welds flat? use a decent welder to do decent "runs" if it is naff welding, seam sealers quite good

#3 Supercharged_clubby

Supercharged_clubby

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 05:59 PM

grind the welds flat? use a decent welder to do decent "runs" if it is naff welding, seam sealers quite good

Well im not actually doing thw welding.... someone else is and iv never used him so i dont no what to expect really, i mentioned it to him about wanting it to look tidy and he said grinding the welds flat would take all of the strengh out of it? Dont wna get it back and then me butcher it and have to have it redone ;D

#4 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • 8,615 posts
  • Local Club: Medievil minis of Warwickshire

Posted 17 March 2008 - 06:04 PM

what a load of bolox!! thats untrue if its been welded corrently, u went the parent materials(floor and repare panel) and not the surfaces and such grinding down shouldnt matter if adiquate penitration has been made

#5 Supercharged_clubby

Supercharged_clubby

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 06:25 PM

what a load of bolox!! thats untrue if its been welded corrently, u went the parent materials(floor and repare panel) and not the surfaces and such grinding down shouldnt matter if adiquate penitration has been made

Ok he said something about overlapping and welding the top and the bottom? do you think i will be able to get a good enough finish by grinding and filling then?

#6 edi57

edi57

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 06:28 PM

I agree with mini93.

If the person doing the welding isn't getting sufficient penetration, then he is correct. Grinding down the welds will reduce strength.

If he's getting sufficient penetration, then you should be able to completely grind the weld away and you should not be able to see any join, this is because the two surfaces have been melted together properly.

Take a look at the welding I did yesterday CLICK. I ground back the weld to leave an invisible repair. It does take time though.

Edited by edi57, 17 March 2008 - 06:30 PM.

#7 philly c

philly c

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 07:40 PM

If he has welded it correctly it shouldnt matter and if he is welding both sides like he says he is then it should be 100% no problem. If his welding is a load of pooh then yess if ya grind it down then it will be a problem.

Phil

#8 mighty mini jack

mighty mini jack

Mighty Before a Pint

• Members
  • 5,095 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 07:47 PM

If he has welded it correctly it shouldnt matter and if he is welding both sides like he says he is then it should be 100% no problem. If his welding is a load of pooh then yess if ya grind it down then it will be a problem.

Phil

I have a rough idea but..

When you change floor pans do you leave a lip from the old floor pan then place the new floor pan on-top of the lip then weld?
Or do you cut it all off and support the new floor pan to it then just weld round it?

The reason i am asking is im going to do this at the week end and want to do it correctly

#9 blue redtop

blue redtop

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 07:54 PM

Phil

I have a rough idea but..

When you change floor pans do you leave a lip from the old floor pan then place the new floor pan on-top of the lip then weld?
Or do you cut it all off and support the new floor pan to it then just weld round it?

The reason i am asking is im going to do this at the week end and want to do it correctly

you can do it either way,i replaced my passenger floor using the over lap.but it was a right pain to weld up under the car.welding upside down isnt easy and all the sparks go in your ears,hair, neck ,im sure i must of looked like i was having a fit most of the time when the hot sparks ran down my sleeves and neck.

im doing the drivers side with the but join because u can weld it from inside the car and it will be much easier i think.

#10 blue redtop

blue redtop

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 07:56 PM

when you support it just tack it in first about 2" apart then when its all im weld small area at a time to stop the floor pan twisting and looking naff.

#11 vally46

vally46

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Local Club: Humbersidemoc.co.uk

Posted 21 March 2008 - 10:00 AM

With my current project 2ltr redtop i am going for stripped out look,cage,no carpets,roof lining etc,what i intend to do is get sum ally chequer plate cut and bent to match the floor pan,i already have some that im using in my other mini as floor mats.

#12 imabitnaughtyxx

imabitnaughtyxx

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 10:01 AM

With my current project 2ltr redtop i am going for stripped out look,cage,no carpets,roof lining etc,what i intend to do is get sum ally chequer plate cut and bent to match the floor pan,i already have some that im using in my other mini as floor mats.

ur so cheap xx

#13 vally46

vally46

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Local Club: Humbersidemoc.co.uk

Posted 22 March 2008 - 05:35 PM

ur so cheap xx

less of your cheek :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users