Jump to content

- - - - -

Definitive Answer On If You Need An Sva?

  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 al_reidy


    Speeding Along Now

  • TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Location: Leeds
  • Local Club: Geeks N Freaks

Posted 22 March 2008 - 09:42 AM

Does anyone have a definitive answer on wether you actually need a sva test. i have read forum, spoken to police traffic officers, spoken to MOT stations and drank alcohol.
i cant figure it out.
thease are things i have issues with, which im guessing the dvla will also...

"Radically altered" - its still a mini, people often change the suspension and the engine (even to vtec's in the front) and add a roll cage to a mini.
There is no where on the V5 document that states if the car is front wheel drive or rear wheel drive.
As people have pointed out before its registered as a mini already, so what are they going to do? (im guessing change to,im my case, Zcars vtec Mini?)

If i do have to run it through an SVA then in short im guessing im going to have to change a load of things which i have already bought.
Does anyone have a list of things they had to change for the SVA pass? again im guessing at this

Brake master cyl has to have a switch and not be single line as in my race spec kit. (switch to dual line with a covered bias pedal box?)
have side repeaters and a 3rd brake light.
have a cat?
Switches on the dash will need to be smooth and not stick into the cabin more than about half a cm (im sure i read that somewhere)
make the digidash speedo read from the driven wheels?
collapsable steering column? (does that need extra things on welded to the frame? and where do you buy one from?)
its always the little things that catch you out by the sounds of things.

im just paranoid im going to have to spend even more money!

cheers for any advice guys


#2 v8mini


    One Carb Or Two?

  • TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts
  • Local Club: Minis on the run

Posted 22 March 2008 - 10:43 AM

i think most of the points you have listed would only apply if you was using a new shell ect and trying to register as a new vehicle.

whever you need a SVA due to being "Radically altered" is another thing. some would say with the point system, engine change, suspension change ect you would need to SVA the vehicle and it would go on a "Q" plate, but when i first MOTed my V8 thats rear mouted, the tester didntt hink it would need a SVA, but did consider it

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Mini Spares