#1 Elfin

Elfin

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Local Club: cicarscene.co.uk

Posted 25 March 2008 - 11:11 AM

Hi as above, i am getting smoke out of the breathers its a white smoke and seems to clear when running the car at above tick over.

Tony at jonspeed said there would be a little,
does anybody else have this with a supercharger??

Cheers

#2 TheKing777

TheKing777

Mini Mad

• Banned from Buying/Selling
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 05:06 PM

Yes I have the same problem, I too have been told its nothing to worry about.

#3 *DJH*

*DJH*

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,972 posts
  • Local Club: www.bigpower.co.uk

Posted 25 March 2008 - 05:08 PM

yeah i have that all the time, eventhough i don't have a charger.

#4 Elfin

Elfin

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 08:30 AM

DJH mini" what engine are you running then?

I am just a little concerned, what about i have a little mayonnaise coming out of the oil filler cap??

#5 *DJH*

*DJH*

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,972 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 08:45 AM

DJH mini" what engine are you running then?

I am just a little concerned, what about i have a little mayonnaise coming out of the oil filler cap??

it's a modified 998, and yeah i have to clean my rocker box out all the time, have no frigging idea what the hell it is? could be vapour build up.

#6 Elfin

Elfin

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 08:55 AM

hmm thats a strange one,
well i have a bit of oil coming out the back of the head, i have just fitted a new decomp plate and gaskets supplied, i torqued the head down to haynes spec i think it was 62nw off the top of my head. I just find this really quite strange.
I adjusted all the valve clearences and putit all back together ran it and it seemed like the timing was out, is this possible or could it be the carb as it was tuned before i fitted the decomp plate.

IT is driving me MAD

#7 *DJH*

*DJH*

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,972 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 08:59 AM

Did you re-torque the head down after a few miles?

#8 Elfin

Elfin

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 09:05 AM

i havnt been able to do a few miles, it is lumpy you accelerate and it seems like it needs to clear but wont rev out, a little like a timing problem but i cant see how the timing as gone out, could this activity be because of the carb not being the corrcect mixture?

#9 matty...

matty...

Super Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Local Club: Turbominis

Posted 26 March 2008 - 01:18 PM

If oil is leaking out the back of the head and the oil is a creamy colour then its got to be the head gasket(s) leaking!!

Has your water sytem got oil in it, and does it bubble when you rev it?

Does the engine run smooth when cold then gradualy get worse as it warms up? If so its more than likely going to be valve clearances are too small causing them to not fully seat once everthing has expanded with heat. This will be more exagerated with the extra decomp plate and extra gasket so you may need to run slightly larger clearances.

How many cc's are you gaining with the decomp plate? IMHO these really are a bodge your best getting the chambers of the head enlarged to lower the CR and ditch the decomp plate and extra gasket altogether! It would be a proper job!

#10 Elfin

Elfin

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 01:44 PM

Hi,
Why should the gaskets leak when i have tightened the head down? little!!!!

No not that i can see as i havnt run it for long (worry) but i am having an investigation tonight. could the mayonnaise be condensation in the rocker apparently this happens and mixes with the oil.

No it dosnt start to easy e.g. choke on and using the accel, i think i wil richen the mixture slightly and see what happen's i have a feeling it could be carb tuning

And as said in the haynes manuel i have measured the clearences to .030

I talked to tony at jonspeed and he sent me the 2mm decomp plate and said this would be the correct one for my engine!
Yes apparently a decom plate is a bodge but if i open it up and want to convert back i am stuffed really

Cheers

#11 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,615 posts
  • Local Club: Medievil minis of Warwickshire

Posted 27 March 2008 - 12:17 AM

"mayo" is oil condensation mixing with cool air...happens when people often take short trips where they could walk instead

on short trips the oil doesnt get chance to warm up fully meanin it does thick n sludgy...djh this might be yours (altho im assuming) i beliebe i remember u saying your only a short distance to work?

#12 *DJH*

*DJH*

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,972 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 08:25 AM

"mayo" is oil condensation mixing with cool air...happens when people often take short trips where they could walk instead

on short trips the oil doesnt get chance to warm up fully meanin it does thick n sludgy...djh this might be yours (altho im assuming) i beliebe i remember u saying your only a short distance to work?

yeah that's true David, i am litterally down the road from here.

#13 Elfin

Elfin

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:05 AM

So guys how much smoke do you get when your cars are running?
On mine there is enough to get into the cockpit almost could call it a cloud, i am going to have to move the breather pipe to either under the car or wheel arch it's so bad.

#14 matty...

matty...

Super Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Local Club: Turbominis

Posted 08 April 2008 - 02:56 PM

None that I can think of seeing... :)

I think its worth doing a compression test. This will test the fire rings (on both gaskets) are sealing and that your piston rings aren't shot!

#15 Elfin

Elfin

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 03:24 PM

Yes that sounds like a very good idea, but the engine is only 5 months old so i shouldnt think so!
Would running the car with to much compression force them to pack up as the garage ran it without the decomp plate!

Cheers

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users