#16 matty...

matty...

Super Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Local Club: Turbominis

Posted 08 April 2008 - 03:46 PM

It is unlikely that the rings are gone if its only 5 months old (presuming new rings etc were fitted) but...if its been over fueling then that can wipe oil off the bores or if it wasn't driven hard enough during running in you can get glazing of the bores which causes them to not seal fully.

I'd definitely do a compression test and see what you get and go form there. :)

#17 Elfin

Elfin

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Local Club: cicarscene.co.uk

Posted 08 April 2008 - 03:49 PM

I am reasonably confident that it was run in correctly as it ran fine before i fitted this dam supercharger and yes it was fitted with new parts.
Well i am looking for one at the moment but if not then i will have to buy one.
I will let you know what the results are!

#18 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,615 posts
  • Local Club: Medievil minis of Warwickshire

Posted 08 April 2008 - 04:17 PM

haha! in my rally car i get loooaaads! (not forced induction) but on my rally it was coming out the breather so much that it was coming out the front of my bonnet while i was going full bore at rockingham stadium

i believe my piston rings are gone tho and that was a new build when i bought it...i believe i glazed the bores running in with the aditional problem of overfueling/borewash

#19 Elfin

Elfin

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:09 AM

Right well to me it sounds like i am having the same problem, but my car was running fine before this supercharger.
Like i said it was run with way to much compression, i mean to the point on accel you could see smoke coming out the exhaust i guess because of oil being puched onto the piston!!

I have a feeling this is the cause :)

#20 *DJH*

*DJH*

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,972 posts
  • Local Club: www.bigpower.co.uk

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:19 AM

So guys how much smoke do you get when your cars are running?
On mine there is enough to get into the cockpit almost could call it a cloud, i am going to have to move the breather pipe to either under the car or wheel arch it's so bad.

again like David, it pours out like a steam loco when you put your foot down.

#21 Elfin

Elfin

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:24 AM

yeah!!
should i be worried, or is it just going to be there until i rebuild it? just rings?
or will it actually damage performance?

Cheers Everybody

#22 Andy500

Andy500

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 11:06 AM

Have you done a compression test yet or a leakdown test. I had similar trouble on my supercharged mpi which im currently rebuilding. I was getting a hell of a lot of breather smoke/pressure so did a compression test and found that cylinder 1 was about 50% of what the other 3 were achieving. I stripped the head off and couldnt find any obvious damage to the piston or bore. Stu at vmax reckons the crown of the piston may be damaged though and pinching the rings, will let you know once i get a look at the pistons.

#23 Elfin

Elfin

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 11:35 AM

No sorry i havnt had a chance to find one yet (pain), that is exactly the same alot of smoke and breathing very heavy.

#24 Andy500

Andy500

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:09 PM

well first thing would be to get a compression test done at the least, if you havent got a tester then it may be worth getting one as there only about £15-20 and are available from most motor factors including halfords.

How often have you used the car? has it ever sufferd from running very hot or shown signs of detonation (pinking or knocking sound under load).

What oils have you run in the engine? have you run it on synthetic oil or ever used additives such as ZX1? (particularly after the rebuild or within the first 1000 miles).

Mine was pretty awful and when i got an airline on to the cylinder it whistled straight through and out of the breather like there was no piston in! yet on first inspection there seems to be nothing wrong!

#25 RPMminiman

RPMminiman

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Local Club: renagade mini club hull

Posted 09 April 2008 - 09:32 PM

sounds to me that you have knackered the rings when you ran the engine without the decompression plate.

#26 Elfin

Elfin

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 07:34 AM

Yes it does to me to,
I will post up the results once i have them!!

#27 Elfin

Elfin

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 07:36 AM

and i cant quite remember when i ran it in but i know it was the correct oil,
I have an everyday car (Jeep) so i use it as much as it is sunny really so not as much as normal cars are used.
and nope it hasnt ever got hot or anything like that at all!!

#28 Elfin

Elfin

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 07:11 AM

Hi all i tested her last night well seems to become more realistic and closer to the problem......including more money!!
1. 130 129
2. 129 129
3. 123 121
4. 75 69

I didnt belive it so i did it twice and there you have it!
What would the best way to go about this be, buy new rings if that is all it is. Or would it be best to get a set of new pistons and rings which will perform better with the supercharger!

Cheers

#29 mini_turbo_pete

mini_turbo_pete

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 09:03 AM

Hi all i tested her last night well seems to become more realistic and closer to the problem......including more money!!
1. 130 129
2. 129 129
3. 123 121
4. 75 69

I didnt belive it so i did it twice and there you have it!
What would the best way to go about this be, buy new rings if that is all it is. Or would it be best to get a set of new pistons and rings which will perform better with the supercharger!

Cheers

Before you do anything else i would take the engine appart, if it's been run for any period of time with broken rings it will knacker the piston too...

once the damage has been ascertained then go from there about new pistond etc...

What ignition system have you got on the car as it sounds like the timing is too far advanced for the charger...

#30 Elfin

Elfin

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 11:19 AM

Yes that is what i am going to be doing and then go from there.......

Cheers all

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users