RyanFitz

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Local Club: N/A

Posted 26 March 2008 - 02:07 PM

Hey folks,
My car seems to be idling a bit funny, and when you put your foot down, it seams like the power cuts out jus for a split second, before i can feel the engine accelerate. I think its the choke. But there is no choke in the car to adjust, so can anyone tell me where bouts in the engine bay it is?
(as you can guess, I’m new to this carry on)
Any help appreciated, thanks

#2 minibeefy

minibeefy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 02:10 PM

should be on the right hand side of the carb next to the throttle cable. dunno what iv done with my haynes manual or id look in there for ya

#3 RyanFitz

RyanFitz

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 02:15 PM

thanks for the speedy reply, im at work at the moment, so i will have a look when i get home. I'l let you know how i get on.

#4 Aria Aradhea

Aria Aradhea

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Local Club: Jakarta Morris Club

Posted 26 March 2008 - 03:03 PM

Seeing your car is an injection, you won't find a carb fitted to your engine. I'm not familiar with injection engines but Sprocket have created a pinned thread of troubleshooting the SPi/MPi cars. You could look it up here: Sprocket's thread.

Hopefully, there's something there that matches your problem.

#5 blackbelt1990

blackbelt1990

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts
  • Local Club: Minimus Maximus

Posted 26 March 2008 - 03:07 PM

You'll get a reply soon enough... mine was doing the same thing and it was a cast of checking and replacing some of the small plastic tubes. Is it idling high and low... or just consistently high?

Ryan :D

#6 RyanFitz

RyanFitz

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 03:10 PM

high usually, but sometimes it would rec up and down by itself. Im unfamilr with this engine and model myself, when i get home, i will try upload a picture of the engine, see what people can tell me

#7 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 03:19 PM

There is no choke on an injection car and there is nothing you can adjust. The cold start settings are a function of the injection ECU. Injection systems run cold in a different way from carbs. Poor cold running on the SPi is often caused by a faulty temperature sensor or broken vacuum system parts. Check all the vacuum pipes and fittings are hooked up and that the pipe end pieces aren't split.

#8 RyanFitz

RyanFitz

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 03:23 PM

sounds like there is more to this than i thought. Thanks for the advice, i'l try check this out wen i get home too!

#9 blackbelt1990

blackbelt1990

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,605 posts
  • Local Club: Minimus Maximus

Posted 26 March 2008 - 03:35 PM

high usually, but sometimes it would rec up and down by itself. Im unfamilr with this engine and model myself, when i get home, i will try upload a picture of the engine, see what people can tell me

Thats exactly what mine was doing.

Ryan :D

#10 ICAM

ICAM

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Local Club: smoc

Posted 26 March 2008 - 04:42 PM

Try and check your air filter also. Maybe already clogged. Try take it out and see if any different.

#11 DaveRob

DaveRob

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 06:57 AM

This SOUNDS like MAP sensor issue..... check all the tubes from the bottom of the ECU to the trap and from the trap to the manifold...... dont just look at them....take them of and INSPECT them closly....any leaks splits or damage you need to replace. Make sure that the trap and the vacumm lines are clear and have no oil or fuel in them......... Dan is right their is no choke its all done electronicly so make sure your temp guage is READING CORRECTLY as this points to other posible faults that would cause similar problems..... also do you have the standard air filter?.... If you have a aftermarket one is the red tube on the right side back of the manifold got a screw in it..... it should have and it needs to be completly blocked. After all that report back and tell us whats happening...

DaveRob

#12 RyanFitz

RyanFitz

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 10:06 AM

great feed back lads, i'l have a look at these things wen i can get a chance

#13 RyanFitz

RyanFitz

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 09:21 AM

had a look there yesterday. Not into great detail, but nothing looks that out of the ordinary. My dad is convinced that it just needs re-tunned!
so thats going to be my next task i think! i have a contact for a fella not to far away from me, BUT if anyone else knows someone in the Co. Tyrone area (N.Ireland) that they can recomend, im open for suggestions.

#14 The_Mistro

The_Mistro

Farmer Barley Mow

• Members
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 07:54 PM

mines just started to do this! have you got it sorted yet? if so what was the problem? and had the re tunning helped? thanks

#15 RyanFitz

RyanFitz

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 10:38 AM

Hey Mistro
No iv not had time to get it sorted yet, but still difrent people are telling me different things that cud be wrong with it. I have a feeling it could be somthin to do with the throttle valve sensor(s), after reading THIS on howstuffworks.com

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users