8 replies to this topic

#1 cavmad

cavmad

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 01:50 PM

Hi, new to this forum so please excuse my first post asking for help.
Just been offered a (red) Mini Red Hot at what looks like a good price. Bit on the rough side bodywise but interior is mint.
I`m led to believe they are one of the rarest ltd editions with some unique parts. The car does run apparantly but needs some restoration work.
Can someone give me a rough idea of what it`s worth please before I shell out some more hard earned cash?
Appreciate that the best way to value it is to see it but as I say the body needs work. Both front wings holed, passenger door starting to go at the bottom and probably some welding underneath needing doing.
Any help much appreciated, thank`s.

#2 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 28 April 2005 - 03:10 PM

The Mini "Red Hot" and "Jet Black" came out in 1988, and 1000 of each were produced ( which is about the norm for Special editions )

They were based on a City, with Black velor trim, tinted windows ( opening quarters )

apart from that nothing special..

If the car is in original condition, then there will be some intrinsic value in that, but other than that I would not rate them price wise above any other 1988 mini

From the brief description of the vehicle condition it sounds like it has just started to submit to the ravages of the tin worm, so would suspect more work that face value. You have not mentioned the car mechanically, so will assume to be sound...

couple of hundred is my finger in the air...

If you can get some pictures it may help... also when was the last time it was taxed and MOT'ed

Edited by GuessWorks, 28 April 2005 - 03:12 PM.

#3 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 03:15 PM

oh... sorry forgot to say hello and welcome

#4 cavmad

cavmad

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 03:22 PM

Thankyou, much appreciated. I`m in a quandry with this as my restoration skills aren`t to good and time and space are at a premium.
I imagine new wings are cheap and a secondhand door shouldn`t break the bank but any welding etc would be possibly costly.
The other thing about this of course is what it`ll be worth when it`s done. I know it`s not polite to talk money but I can`t see the point of spending good money on it if they aren`t worth much anyway?
The speedo read 23000 miles I think so there`s a slight chance it could be genuine, I don`t that much about the car so far just what I`ve seen.
I`d break it for parts and maybe grasstrack the shell but if it`s one of the rarer ones it would be a shame.
Cheers,

#5 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 03:39 PM

I wouldn't say its rare, and since there is nothing significantly different from any other '88 mini as has been said, so its pretty much only a name. So I wouldn't be too worried about breaking it, although breaking any mini is a huge shame. On my clubman, a new wing and A-panel including labour has been quoted £750, but if you look around you'll probably find someone who can do the job for nearer to £500, but then it depends on whether they paint it as well afterwards. As for the value of the car, I'd be inclined to go nearer £350-£400, and if its 23000 miles and not 123000 then I'd say the value goes up by a few hundred quid as well.

Welcome to the forum, by the way, and are in the ownership of a mini soon!

#6 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 03:45 PM

Wing & A panel 750 quid... I'm in the wrong game.... :saywhat:

#7 cavmad

cavmad

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 03:48 PM

Thank`s, looks like a good forum with some nice people. I haven`t bought the car yet but might do tonight if it hasn`t gone. I think it`s worth a risk for the money and if it`s too far gone for me to do I`ll stick it on good old eBay and see what happens.
If i do keep it I`ll probably be on here night and day asking technical questions!
Thank`s once again,

#8 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 03:54 PM

I was going to say that, but thought I may offend ... lol

#9 cavmad

cavmad

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 04:25 PM

I was going to say that, but thought I may offend ... lol

:grin: You won`t offend me mate, I`m sort of in the car game and always on the look out for a bargain. I didn`t want to offend anyone on here by asking for info just for a quick buck as I`m seriously considering taking this on and keeping it for a while.
Trouble is I`ve got three cars, two and a half recovery trucks, a small van and mounds of part worn tyres and car spares knocking about at the moment and I`m running out of room!
The Mini would pose problems in that it would mean selling my latest and much wanted aquistion, a Cavalier MK2 SRi 130 hatchback that needs work.
Decisions, decisions hey?!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users