5 replies to this topic

#1 blue redtop

blue redtop

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 09:32 PM

i thought i would ask on hear to see if anyone has dont it before on there mini.
ive got some holes to patch up and when anyone on hear repairs holes they just use steel.

just thinking why dont people use galvanise.im only asking because im going to be patching holes with galvanise and wondered if there was any reason not to do it as i can get skip fulls of the stuff for free.

it know its a bit more tricky to weld and it platters every where but once it on it wont rust again.

just wondered if there was a reason.
cheers.:D

#2 biggav

biggav

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,830 posts
  • Local Club: South Central

Posted 29 March 2008 - 09:41 PM

i thought i would ask on hear to see if anyone has dont it before on there mini.
ive got some holes to patch up and when anyone on hear repairs holes they just use steel.

just thinking why dont people use galvanise.im only asking because im going to be patching holes with galvanise and wondered if there was any reason not to do it as i can get skip fulls of the stuff for free.

it know its a bit more tricky to weld and it platters every where but once it on it wont rust again.

i think you need to rub the zinc off the steel to get it to weld which defeats the object.

#3 blue redtop

blue redtop

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 09:45 PM

i think you need to rub the zinc off the steel to get it to weld which defeats the object.

yes you need to sand the edge where you will be welding.but the rest of it will have zinc on it to protect it.(or am i just being silly).lol

#4 In-a-mini

In-a-mini

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts
  • Local Club: smag (southend mini action group)

Posted 29 March 2008 - 10:13 PM

i have used panels that have been galvanised before it does help protect the metal and does make them last a bit longer. the thing is you have to clean the metal up well not only because of being able to weld it but because the fumes are not good for you. You get a strong smelling smoke of it and a white fluffy stuff

#5 biggav

biggav

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,830 posts
  • Local Club: South Central

Posted 29 March 2008 - 10:27 PM

in my experience, the bit you welded is always the weak point when it comes to corrosion... i reckon its far better to do the welding, tiger seal up both sides of the join and paint the hell out of it with hammerite. my car has about 6 coats of underseal and hammerite under it and the inside floor pan has 3 coats of hammerite and a layer of Flashband..... Which is a real :D shame because i got to weld some re-enforcing in for the roadster kit and will end up with fumes, smoke and probably flames.

#6 Guest_zoookii_*

Guest_zoookii_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2008 - 10:34 PM

I would not advise you use galv sheet to make repairs!!

IMO no matter how much you clean the sheet it always contaminates the weld.

The repair will be alot more structural using standard plate.

Also the fumes from the galv contain Cyanide which can KILL!!!

Russ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users