10 replies to this topic

#1 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 03:33 PM

I need to fit a new outer sill on my car (expect more question on that later :)) and i'm going to buy an angle grinder tonight.

Which one shall i buy out of these 2:

http://www.halfords....ategoryId_76862
http://www.halfords....ategoryId_76862

Which would be best for multi-purpose grinding and cutting?

Do i need variable speed or is that really only for sanding/buffing?

#2 lrostoke

lrostoke

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,923 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 09 April 2008 - 03:55 PM

If all you want is to cut the sill off, then first one is fine, never needed variable speed on a grinder.
Make sure you get plenty of cutting disks you go through them pretty quick.

The 2nd one with variable speed is pretty cheap though.

#3 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 09 April 2008 - 04:10 PM

Well I wouldn't advise buying either, get a decent one that won't break in 5 minutes! but for what you want, the first one would be more suited. Don't need variable speed for grinding or cutting.

#4 fastroadie

fastroadie

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 04:27 PM

halfords don't make the best tools and they are over priced b&q do there budget range of grinders which are about £4-5 cheaper, I bought one similar to the second one, for £21 from b&q and have done a full resto with it no probs. Although you don't need variable speed for the job in hand, you might need it later, handy when you get a sanding disk or wire brush on it.

#5 lrostoke

lrostoke

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,923 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 05:36 PM

I broght mine from Screwfix http://www.screwfix....4-Grinder-240V#

More expensive ones are probably a better option if your a professional using them day after day, but for home DIY get a cheap one, that one of mine as totally rebuilt one mini, done 1/2 another and repaired a boot floor on a 3rd, still going strong

Why pay £40 upwards for a better make ?? for £15 a time I could buy nearly 3 cheap ones.

Edited by lrostoke, 09 April 2008 - 05:37 PM.

#6 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 09 April 2008 - 05:50 PM

Is that the Ferm one? I bought a Ferm one for my dad and it cut through 2 pieces of corrugated iron then the bushes burned out.

#7 lrostoke

lrostoke

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,923 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 06:06 PM

No its called Direct Power :) I totally agree if your using them on a daily basis get a good make, but can honestly say this is my 2nd cheap grinder the previous one was a Power Devil and that one rebuilt 2 Landrover chassis's had it for years..
The only bad experience I had with a grinder was a Homebase 9" grinder, gears went in it, but give them there due they replaced it and it was nearly 12 month old :) that one suffered same fate though :crazy: so I now have a Black & Decker for my big grinder, that ones been fine.

#8 Ro8bieg

Ro8bieg

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts
  • Local Club: Fylde Mini Club

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:02 PM

i got a grinder from b&q for £8 and its lasted me ages :shifty: lol

#9 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 08:05 PM

Cheers guys -Went with the variable speed in the end - Decided i could make use of it for waxing my car since it comes with those attachments.

To be honest i've never really had a problem with any halfords tools - I've got a demel and sander and they're fine. The dremel i use all the time and thats great, the attachments have lasted me a while too. The sander seems fine to - Sanded down all the interior floors with it Worked a treat.

At the end of the day, i work there - So if they pack up i can get a return easily.

#10 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 09 April 2008 - 08:15 PM

on the subject of grinders....

After having both cheap and expensive, I've found the best option is to plump for multiple cheap ones with a years guarentee ( eg Wickes )

Expensive ones are great keep going and going, but when you find you need new brushes for the motors, you get stung in the arse for silly amounts...

Cheap ones, I have 3, one has a sanding disk one a cut off disk and the other a wire brush, that way I don't keep having to change bits over for different jobs, saves knackering the locking button... also means jobs are done quicker, and @ £15 quid a pop when it goes wrong you either take it back and get a replacement if still under gaurentee or bin it and buy another...

#11 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,129 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 09 April 2008 - 08:17 PM

I agree with guessworks, bought a couple of draper grinders at £17 each, blew the snot out of them within 6 weeks and kept taking them back!!!

No profit here!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users