Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 14 February 2004 - 08:15 PM

Ok, heres one for you technicaly minded people... :erm:

When you start your mini in the mornings, those of you with oil presure gauges will notice that the oil presure doesnt pick up for a few seconds until after the engine is running. I have noticed too that the idle is quite rough too untill the preasure is up to normal.

What I was wonderring is, is there a way of priming the oil circulatory system before the engine is started? I though maybe some kind of electric pump, but where would it be mounted and also would it affect the oil flow when it is switched off and the engine is running normally?

Come on guys, any ideas will be welcome... :) :)

#2 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 14 February 2004 - 10:49 PM

When we rebuilt a Rover V8 from a we tested the oil pressure and primed the pump by getting an old dizzy drive dog, putting it onto a drill and turning the engine using the drill........

Not remembering exactly what drives the Mini oil pump (is it gearbox or camshaft??), perhaps a way to do it would be either a motor geared into the dizzy drive between the dizzy and the engine, or something else......hmmmmm

stuck!

#3 1991Cooper

1991Cooper

Sgt. Allcock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 14 February 2004 - 11:33 PM

Let's face it Richie you mofo just bodge something together at least that way it will match the rest of your car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol. Nah only joking i'll ask the people at somerford if you like maybe they will know.

#4 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 08:38 AM

The oil pump is driven directly off the end of the cam shaft , so you couldent have a drive inbetween , I allways put "Slick 50" in my engines to protect the bearings at start-up .

#5 marksmini

marksmini

Mark - Founder of TMF since 2003 - Onwards

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,429 posts
  • Name: Mark
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 18 February 2004 - 06:23 PM

rich you get anywhere with it in the end? ??

#6 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 4,436 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 07:14 PM

Naa, still tryin to think of a way

#7 mighty_mini

mighty_mini

Sambo Spoon

• Members
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 20 February 2004 - 07:14 AM

what about plumbing an electri pump in line with the first ignition click, therefore it would stop pumping when u got the engine started.... as for a plce 2 put it, cudnt u put it between the filter and the block? if there was too much resistance from the pump being stopped after, you could put a second oil line in, so it was like 2 lines to the same place... any help??

#8 Wil_h

Wil_h

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 20 February 2004 - 08:08 AM

An easy way to make sure you have oil pressure before the engine fires up is to wire the ignition through a normally closed contact of a relay controlled by the oil pressure switch.

Basically when the oil light is on the relay will be energised and the contact open, no ignition. then you turn the engine over until you have oil pressure, the oil light goes out, the relay de-energises switches on the ignition and hey presto the engine starts.

You can use the same theory to switch on and off the supply to an electric fuel pump, so if you crash as soon as you loose oil pressure the pump stops pumping fuel over you mangled body.

Wil

#9 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 4,436 posts

Posted 20 February 2004 - 07:04 PM

Thanks for that guys...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users