#1 dezshearer

dezshearer

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Local Club: mini-chat.co.uk

Posted 12 April 2008 - 10:46 PM

I've been attacking my stipped out bulkhead today with the wirebrush (on an angle grinder, makes bare-metaling a gift)

Anyway, i've been removing all the underseal/paint/C**p and then spraying with zinc primer.

Should i be putting seam-sealer in all the joins? or should the underseal thats left in there do the job?

And if i should be using seam-sealer, should i do it before or after the zinc primer?

The mini is black in colour, and i'm going to be repainting the underside and bulkhead in black aswell. Can i just use stonechip covered by black hammerite for this? or should i be using something else?

#2 sway

sway

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Local Club: Not Yet!

Posted 13 April 2008 - 09:10 AM

Reckon it can't hurt to use seam sealer, belt and braces stylee. Seam sealer usually goes on after the primer so it has something to stick to.

As for which paint to use stonechip and Hammerite should be fine though if it were me I would use POR-15 as its soooo much harder wearing.

And of course, don't forget the pics for us picture whores!!!! LOL :lol:

#3 jack_marshall

jack_marshall

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 10:46 AM

Id reseal any gaps that are open or if the sealer that is on there is looking tatty.

best do do it over primer apparently, but Ive done it on bare metal before with no problems.

Its paintable too so you could paint straight over, or give it a light re-prime if you wish.

#4 dezshearer

dezshearer

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Local Club: mini-chat.co.uk

Posted 13 April 2008 - 12:05 PM

thanks guys, im just in having a brew atm!

slowly replacing the lip of my bulkhead cus its rotten, tricky, little, fiddly job!!

I'll put some photos up in my project section when i'm done for the day!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users