4 replies to this topic

#1 Flukey

Flukey

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 10:50 PM

Hey, i have been doing a bit of body work on a mini which i managed to get my hands on and i have needed to do some welding. However my welder dosen't seam to be great! the welds are ''blotchy'' and it spits a hell of alot when welding. I have a gassless Mig welder. can anyone tell me what could either be causing the weld to be pants (other than me) , and possibly a better type of good value welder to get please? I have a feeling my welder is just no good.

cheers i hope this is in the right section

luke

#2 nomininolife

nomininolife

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Mates

Posted 14 April 2008 - 10:55 PM

The best thing you can do really is take a look at www.mig-welding.co.uk the is a world of knowledge on there.

Basically the steel you are welding must be scrupulously clean, no rust. Do you know how old the wire is?

David

#3 Flukey

Flukey

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 11:03 PM

couple of days old, picked it up the other day, so I wouldnt have thought that would be the problem?? Thanks for the link ill check that out!

luke

#4 brianmini

brianmini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Local Club: MiniClan

Posted 17 April 2008 - 10:17 AM

Gasless welders to spit a hell of a lot, the welding wire has a flux through it. If your getting really splattery finish it might be worth checking you've the wire speed right, on the cheap-ass gassless ones (i had one), you need to make sure you've not overtightened/or under tightended the wire feed tension roller.

I went through 2 1/2 small rolls of flux wire, and i found one of the rolls was just mince, i thought i'd sussed it with the initial half reel, but the first halfords one spattered like crazy, i ended up grinding all the welds off and starting again.

#5 jack_marshall

jack_marshall

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 08:39 PM

Try and borrow/bed/steal/borrow a proper gas mig.

Theyre so much easier to use and produce much better results.

If your looking for a new welder, 100-150amps is good for mending mini's!

Ive found the one with variable wire speed and amps better than one with '1,2,3,4' settings.

www.machinemart.co.uk is a good place to look, as theres alot of stores nationwide.

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users