2 replies to this topic

#1 mikeyt

mikeyt

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 11:52 AM

Hi, I am new to this forum, but not new to minis. I had 3 back in the 70s/80s and have bought one for my son (a project car) 3 years ago. The mini is almost finished but I am having no luck getting the indicators or hazards to work. All fuses check out ok and I now suspect the hazard switch. I have checked/changed the flasher units so I reckon they are ok. When I bought the mini it had some "custom" wiring, which has been interesting to say the least.

Apart from the hazard switch has anyone else expereienced a similar problem or can anyone point me in the right direction?

Many thanks

Mikeyt

#2 minimadjonesy

minimadjonesy

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,417 posts
  • Local Club: SMAC

Posted 16 April 2008 - 11:56 AM

I had a similar problem with my last mini. Turned out to be the hazard switch as when on it disables the indicator circuit! A fauly switch actually bridges the circuit and whilst your hazzards don't work the indicator circuit is also disabled! For the sake of a couple of quid to get a new switch I would always try it! :thumbsup:

#3 Kinjo

Kinjo

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 11:58 AM

I had this same problem last week, I changed my flasher unit, checked and changed all fuses, - but the thing that fixed it was cleaning the connections on/at the fuse box with emery cloth, and then renewing all the wired connections with new spade connections.

Check you are using the correct fuses also, as for some unknown reason i had the wrong ones in mine. see below

Depending on whether your Mini is of 1976-1996 vintage: -

Standard 4 fuse box mounted on the bulkhead: -

1 1-2 35amp Brake Lights, Reverse Lights, Direction Indicators & Rear Screen Demister.

2 3-4 25amp Horn, Headlamp Flasher, Brake Failure Circuit & Radio Memory.

3 5-6 25amp Heater Blower Motor, Windscreen Wipers, Washer Motor & Instruments.

4 7-8 15amp Side & Tail Lights & Panel Lights.

1-2 These circuits only operate with the ignition switch at position "II".

5-6 These circuits only operate with the ignition switch at position "I" or "II".

4 Fuse box wiring colours: -

White - Green
Brown - Purple
Light Green/White - Light Green/Orange
Red - Red/Green

Edited by Kinjo, 16 April 2008 - 12:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users