6 replies to this topic

#1 Freda

Freda

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 08:27 PM

Serviced my mini yesterday - gave her new plugs/leads/rotor arm as she was having probs getting going. As she's 1.3i was expecting a bit of a bumpy ride for a while whist she got used to it - however twice now she's started sounding as though the accelerator was right down with no gear selected - lots & lots of revs. Both times its happened was after changing gear - first time I thought it was me being a klutz & not having her in gear because it stopped once I changed gear, however today she built up to it over 2 gear changes which partially sounded like my foot wasn't off the accelerator, and she then drove me down the road (look no feet!) and I had to stop it by stopping & switching off. She was fine again once I started.

Is this due to the work we did yesterday or is it something else - anyone any ideas?????

#2 metalminis

metalminis

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 09:33 PM

Sticky throttle cable or linkages?

My brother had the same happen to him... He ended up in a hedge as he was driving along and it was a choice of a lorry or a hedge.
I think it was somehting to do with the throttle cable and or linkages

#3 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 15 February 2004 - 11:39 PM

Check your throttle cable isn't snagging on anything. You might have knocked it while you were doing the other stuff and it may be catching some where like the clutch arm...

#4 David_J

David_J

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 10:48 AM

Also check the pedal is free of carpet and sound insulation insde the footwell!

Its not likely to be due to the changes that you made with the ignition I think.

:wink:

By the way those dumb actors in the films and tv programmes don't know a thing about what to do if your brakes fail whilst you are driving or if your throttle gets stuck down! All they do is put their foot flat on the floor and pump the pedal. Which is good for one or two pumps but if the brakes still aren't working???

- Apply the handbrake and turn engine off leaving the car in gear, you can hopefully then control your speed using the clutch and the engine as a brake. (N.B this is obviously an emergency measure if you are about to plough into another car or a wall. Turnig the engine off whilst still in gear will probably upset the little car, but it might be the only option left to stop those wheels turning and prevent you crashing into the young mum with the pram.

Accelerator stuck open? - Whats the problem? (hehe) Just joking. Same principal, turn off the engine if you're in trouble and use it as a brake with the clutch.

I don't know if this is what is recommended by the AA or the RAC or whatever but in my mind its what I would do in an emergency.

#5 Freda

Freda

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 04:41 PM

Thanks - will check/get it checked - I did manage to check inside the footwell - my technical knowledge just about stretches that far! :wink:

#6 tipcat

tipcat

Pancake King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts
  • Local Club:

Posted 16 February 2004 - 09:47 PM

- Apply the handbrake and turn engine off leaving the car in gear, you can hopefully then control your speed using the clutch and the engine as a brake. (N.B this is obviously an emergency measure if you are about to plough into another car or a wall. Turnig the engine off whilst still in gear will probably upset the little car, but it might be the only option left to stop those wheels turning and prevent you crashing into the young mum with the pram.

Just a suggestion... if you turn the engine off whilst driving, and your car has a steering lock, remember to turn the key back so you don't end up heading face first into a double decker with no way to steer! It might not make your day!

#7 David_J

David_J

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 12:20 PM

Zoikes! Well spotted.
However on every car I've known the steering lock only actually engages when the key is removed from the lock. If you turn the ignition off and leave the key in then the lock won't engage.

:saywhat:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users