#1 998ccMike

998ccMike

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Local Club: Bristol Mini Drifters

Posted 20 April 2008 - 09:16 PM

Hello everybody.done a quick search on google and the forum about converting a ford crossflow engine to be used on a mini gearbox,ive heard this was a big thing back in the 80's but cant find any info now,and i would love to carry out this conversion on my mini.does any one have info or even better some pics?

#2 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,215 posts
  • Local Club: central minis

Posted 20 April 2008 - 10:04 PM

Hello everybody.done a quick search on google and the forum about converting a ford crossflow engine to be used on a mini gearbox,ive heard this was a big thing back in the 80's but cant find any info now,and i would love to carry out this conversion on my mini.does any one have info or even better some pics?

Isnt it covered in vizard's yellow bible ?

#3 v8mini

v8mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts
  • Local Club: Minis on the run

Posted 20 April 2008 - 10:21 PM

there was a thread about these quite a while ago

clicky here

basically you could end up with this

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 JetBLICK

JetBLICK

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • Local Club: myspace.com/worcesterretro

Posted 20 April 2008 - 10:51 PM

Your looking for a 'manx' kit.. these where the main ones anyway. First youve got to find a kit, then you've got to get the money for it, they're rare, and expensive.

Then you've got the issues with the x-flow itself. A-series tuning has been around now for such a long long time that prices for parts are comparatively cheap to other motors, and with continuous development its fairly easy to achieve over 100bhp for a fair price. The kent crossflow was kinda retired when the likes of the pinto, CVH, YB motors where introduced, and more recently the zetec has massively taken over the where the crossflow left off. So its fairly expensive to get bananas out of a crossflow.

Even more expensive if you pick either of the twincam versions, the lotus twincam, or the infamous BDA. The good thing if you go for a twincam crossflow is that they look absolutly stunning, and they have much more tuning potential, but they are still horrendously expensive, especially the BDA.

That said, if your chequbooks big enough, i'd loooove to see a lotus twincam build on this forum, you'd end up with something very special.

#5 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 21 April 2008 - 12:53 AM

Yep costs a bloody fortune, but I think you should look here at the development of suzuki swift gti engines on a mini gearbox.

http://www.theminifo...mp;#entry941898

Or at the many bmw k1100 twin cam on a mini engine conversions. Kits are available now at very reasonable prices and is of the same ilk.

#6 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 02:11 AM

http://www.racecarsd....php?view=16362

#7 THE STIG

THE STIG

Da stig says, GO GO GO

• Members
  • 2,506 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 02:46 AM

http://www.racecarsd....php?view=16362

i had two of these and they fetched no where near that price due to the other convbertions avalible now

when sold last year casing and bits needed went for £450

gearcasing with engine and lotus head only went for £550

that one will be for sale for a long time at that price :D

#8 marksmini

marksmini

Mark - Founder of TMF since 2003 - Onwards

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,429 posts
  • Name: Mark
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 21 April 2008 - 09:29 AM

is there much differance between the ford crossflow and ford pre-crossflow? just thinking of space as the pre goes into and out of the same side with the normal crossflow goes in one side and out the other.
ok so the pre crossflow engines are older but i cant see no other reasons why not?

just an idea

Edited by marksmini, 21 April 2008 - 09:29 AM.

#9 Steve W

Steve W

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Local Club: mkrufc

Posted 21 April 2008 - 10:16 AM

is there much differance between the ford crossflow and ford pre-crossflow? just thinking of space as the pre goes into and out of the same side with the normal crossflow goes in one side and out the other.
ok so the pre crossflow engines are older but i cant see no other reasons why not?

just an idea

hence the name. .. CROSS flow! flows across the engine!

#10 JetBLICK

JetBLICK

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • Local Club: myspace.com/worcesterretro

Posted 21 April 2008 - 11:04 AM

just an idea

I think he means casting-wise, as in would a pre-crossflow head fit on a crossflow block. I'm pretty sure it would, i think the block stayed pretty much the same through out its life, with regards to where the holes are and stuff. I believe the pre-crossflow block has thinner cylinder walls or something? which means its not ideal if you want to go massive bore. The crossflow blocks where better, and the lotus twink blocks the best. The lotus ones are distinguishable by the 'L' stamped on the side of the block.

^ I'd double check that before you go buying anything too, because i may be wrong, i've never owned a ford :D I've just learned that from having a few ford nuts for mates, and what i've read. Burton are your best bet.

#11 level7

level7

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:50 AM

Your looking for a 'manx' kit.. these where the main ones anyway. First youve got to find a kit, then you've got to get the money for it, they're rare, and expensive.

Then you've got the issues with the x-flow itself. A-series tuning has been around now for such a long long time that prices for parts are comparatively cheap to other motors, and with continuous development its fairly easy to achieve over 100bhp for a fair price. The kent crossflow was kinda retired when the likes of the pinto, CVH, YB motors where introduced, and more recently the zetec has massively taken over the where the crossflow left off. So its fairly expensive to get bananas out of a crossflow.

Even more expensive if you pick either of the twincam versions, the lotus twincam, or the infamous BDA. The good thing if you go for a twincam crossflow is that they look absolutly stunning, and they have much more tuning potential, but they are still horrendously expensive, especially the BDA.

That said, if your chequbooks big enough, i'd loooove to see a lotus twincam build on this forum, you'd end up with something very special.

I think the toyota 4ag series of engines are the same dimentions as the bda cossie motor could be worth a try (maybe a 4agze supercharged) :lol: :w00t:

#12 marksmini

marksmini

Mark - Founder of TMF since 2003 - Onwards

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,429 posts
  • Name: Mark
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 29 April 2008 - 09:34 AM

just an idea

always thought why they call it a cross flow...... hmmmmm :lol: thanks for that.

Thanks jetBlick, you got where im coming from. i have the pre-crossflow engine in my kit car. cross flow is best but i was only thinking of extra space etc in a mini.

#13 Rosslin Racing

Rosslin Racing

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,408 posts
  • Local Club: SMP beo BMC swiss

Posted 24 August 2008 - 10:06 AM

someone say Lotus? Manx racing gearbox did they knock it up in a garden shed?

looks like it cant even drill holes in a bit of steel.
[attachment=67270:cat_004.JPG][attachment=67271:cat_005.JPG][attachment=67273:ca
t_006.JPG]

Edited by Rosslin Racing, 24 August 2008 - 10:25 AM.

#14 nicksuth

nicksuth

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 24 August 2008 - 10:16 AM

These really used to be the ultimate in conversions in the late 1970's (The Dogs Dangley Bits!!!)

Originally 1600 Lotus Twin Cam conversions later becoming 1840 BDA (Belt Driven Assembly) Cosworth monsters mated to a Mini Gearbox (Ideally a JKD 4 Synchro SCCR if you wanted it to last more than 5 mins?)

There is a section in david Vizzard's "How to Modify Your Mini" but not really to any detail.

See Jeremy Clarkson Test Driving one on Top Gear - even he thought it was awesome!

#15 Rosslin Racing

Rosslin Racing

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,408 posts
  • Local Club: SMP beo BMC swiss

Posted 24 August 2008 - 10:39 AM

clarkson looks young ;D
That gearbox case I have has all the bits I need to fit the gears. the workmanship is rubbish! can not understand the high price they get.
I have two twincam engines one is road and the other is F2 with fuel injection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users