5 replies to this topic

#1 frostie

frostie

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 06:11 PM

not sure where this post should go(so feel free to move it if it's in the wrong place admin)...

how do you make moulds to make glassfibre "things" like a dash, or kickpods etc

and also, i'm guessing it's not very easy to make a dash from carbon fibre, and get the weave right aswell??correct or not?

#2 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 16 May 2005 - 07:22 PM

you make a plug out of anything ( wood , filler etc ) then cover this with a relecing agent and cover this in glass fibre , when dry remove the plug and whats left is your mould :smartass:

#3 frostie

frostie

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 08:45 PM

cheers mate! i mite have a go soon....i'm on study leave to revise for exams so i've got a bit of spare time(because obviously no1 ACTUALLY revises!lol)

#4 smudgersmb

smudgersmb

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 03:49 PM

Depends on how complex the shape is and the finish you are after.

First of all draw a picture (on paper) of the shape your after. If its a dash and a complex one like the Ford Ka dash seen in a Mini, then its best starting out with a Ford Ka dash, chop that up till it fits in a Mini then remove all of the fabric that you can. Smooth down with some wet/dry. Use some filler to smooth out any welds and holes that are not needed. Wet/Dry till smooth. Paint. Wax with a silicon free wax. Apply release agent. Apply a gel coat. Apply fibreglass matting and then apply resin. Repeat till its about 6mm thick for a very sturdy end patern. Then let this harden (about 5 days), you can trim it abit when its "green" as well. When fully cured cut & trim. Slowly release from mould. It will "pop" & "crack" when you release it :saywhat:

This is then ready to be washed down and polished, buffed, polished, buffed, polished, buffed, polished, buffed, polished, buffed etc etc for a really nice finish. Then its on with more release agent and then its the gel coat again and matting/resisn.

This is just a layman's guide, its better if you contact a local company or even a local supplier, like www.cfsnet.co.uk for their catalogue and help.

As I said, its just a rough guide.

:grin:

#5 frostie

frostie

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 05:58 PM

thats great thanx! so alot of work then! hopefully cheaper than buyin one tho...and a bit more satisfaction!

#6 smudgersmb

smudgersmb

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 07:03 PM

Just take your time, know what it is your looking for (hence the pic first) and then relise that you will make mistakes. And then you can say: "I did this" at the end of it :grin:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users