14 replies to this topic

#1 Mart8V

Mart8V

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 07:31 PM

Courtesy of some total winker who backed into the front of my car a while back I am having to replace the front panel. From what I can gather I either drill through the spot welds or cut it off to remove, but the replacement is where I have questions.

Once it is all lined up is there anything to stop me bonding the joint with a decent mastik and then riveting the inside seam or does it have to be spot welded again? Ideally I want to paint up most of the panel before fitting (except the contact areas) if possible.

Please tell me if this is a fool's plan! Not much into bodywork......!

#2 Piddling Kid

Piddling Kid

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 07:50 PM

i dont think MOT people like pop rivets, im pretty sure you have to have spot welds. dont quote me on it 100%

#3 Mart8V

Mart8V

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 08:00 PM

i dont think MOT people like pop rivets, im pretty sure you have to have spot welds. dont quote me on it 100%

Yeah, that would make sense now that I think about it!

#4 sway

sway

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Local Club: Not Yet!

Posted 28 April 2008 - 08:12 PM

Again, I am no expert, but I believe that it only has to be welded if it is structural. As I understand it, the front panel isn't structural so a large dollop of Sikaflex and a liberal sprinkling of rivets should suffice.

The above is pure speculation mind!

#5 Piddling Kid

Piddling Kid

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 08:22 PM

Again, I am no expert, but I believe that it only has to be welded if it is structural. As I understand it, the front panel isn't structural so a large dollop of Sikaflex and a liberal sprinkling of rivets should suffice.

The above is pure speculation mind!

ive always been told that patches etc like in the floor have to be welded all the way round and that body panels just have to be spot welded.

#6 jack_marshall

jack_marshall

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 08:26 PM

Sorry mate, very bad plan.

The front subframe bolts to the front panel on 2 lower mounts which you will see through 2 holes on the bottom.

The front panel has to be welded to the wings or it will basically come unattached and let the subframe move around as it likes.

If the MOT'er realised the front panel was riveted/bonded on, he would probably have a fit and deem the car dangerous to drive.

The easiest way to remove the old front panel is to cut around the seams a couple of millimeters away from the joins until it comes away.

Then clean away what is left with a soft grinding disk on an angle grinder.

Once you have cleaned all remains away, you can either spot weld the 2 return edges together from behind the arch if you have the tools, or weld from the front.

Once you have done this, chances are the wings will want painting as well as the front panel.

#7 sway

sway

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 08:33 PM

That is quite possibly correct dude. As I say the above is really only a theory.

What you say would hold water in that a patch on the floor would be classed as structural and needs seam welding as the floor of a monocoque car (such as a Mini) is a stressed part of its construction. I summise that the front panel adds nothing to the structure of the car and is only cosmetic as it is entirely possible to run the car safely without any of the front bodywork (think 'glass flip front) at all.

Once again I stress that the above is pure speculation. Any MOT testers in the house that can give a better answer?

#8 sway

sway

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 08:34 PM

Thanks Jack.

I'll shut up with my theories now! :P

#9 jack_marshall

jack_marshall

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:21 PM

I summise that the front panel adds nothing to the structure of the car and is only cosmetic as it is entirely possible to run the car safely without any of the front bodywork (think 'glass flip front) at all.

True, but fibreglass fronts have to run bracebars to support the front mounts of the subframe.

Thanks Jack.

I'll shut up with my theories now! :P

This is a forum mate, its all about ideas and opinions, so keep talking!

Makes no odds if your wrong or right in my eyes, were just very lucky to have such an active forum.

Edit- Off topic but Sway I see your from Nottinghamshire, where abouts??

Edited by jack_marshall, 28 April 2008 - 09:23 PM.

#10 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:46 PM

WELD IT. (I'm tired, mmmkay?)

#11 Mart8V

Mart8V

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 06:27 AM

WELD IT. (I'm tired, mmmkay?)

I think we can say that the pop rivets will not be seeing the light of day! Not done any spot welding for at least 16yrs- let's see how we fare!!

#12 sway

sway

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 09:42 PM

Edit- Off topic but Sway I see your from Nottinghamshire, where abouts??

3 junctions down the M1 from you! I'm just off J25 at Long Eaton

#13 feybrand

feybrand

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 09:06 AM

you could always nip to your nearest garage and ask one of them if itl be ok they are supposed to be the experts so they should know and if you hint that youl take the car there for its mot then theyl be tripping over each other to give you any information you want

#14 duncancallum

duncancallum

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Local Club: South Lancs Mini Owners Club

Posted 01 May 2008 - 11:33 AM

if leting metal in eg a plate it needs to be seemed so it becomes one peice of metal where is joining anothe palled it can be ataches as it would of been from the factory

#15 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 12:39 PM

if leting metal in eg a plate it needs to be seemed so it becomes one peice of metal where is joining anothe palled it can be ataches as it would of been from the factory

sorry but that post makes no sense, please read through your comment etc before posting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users