#1 rumplitter

rumplitter

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 10:02 AM

Has anyone done this?

Cut out existing rusty windscreen frame.

replaced it

Mig welded in place?

pic's would be appreciated!

#2 rumplitter

rumplitter

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 01:39 PM

Had a go last night at drilling out the spot welds, easier than i thought!
Quite happy doing the sides but I've no idea how the top of the screen/gutter is attached?

help please!

#3 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 02:07 PM

I have replaced a few windscreen panels in my time, fortunately I have never needed to replace it right up to the roof area, have you a picture of the top of the replacement windscreen panel, from memory I seem to remember it coming with part of the drip rail which as I said I didn't need to use.

If you need to use it you will need to remove that drip rail on the car and fit your new panel into the gap, your spot weld driller won't be much use for this, a grinder will do it no problem just be careful not to damage the surrounding panels, I prefer not to disturb the roof / drip rail area if possible

Cheers
David

#4 jayare

jayare

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 08:48 PM

From the factory the roof is welded to the top of the windscreen surround panel with a roller welder which works in a similar way to a spot welder in that it relies on an electric current melting the two panels together but using rollers instead of points. To remove the seam, you'll need to carefully grind the original panel from below. If you can get away with leaving the top part and join the panel near the top corners it may be easier.

JR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users