4 replies to this topic

#1 dangregory007

dangregory007

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 08:33 AM

Has anyone tilted a windscreen before? I want to angle the windscreen back a bit on my soon to be roofless mini to give it a sportier look, just wondering what is the best way to go about it.

I'm thinking I can bend just the frame back and then strengthen it, but then it may be a bit tricky to get the whole thing bent to the same angle (and also the windscreen wipers won't be in contact anymore)

Else I can break the weld joint where the windscreen and windscreen wiper panel join the side panel and bend the whole thing back, but then theres problems with it not lining up with the bonnet and sides anymore

I've seen pictures of it done, including on a mini, but I can't tell from the photos what method was used. If anyone has any advice that'd be great!

Cheers
- Dan

#2 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:46 PM

There are many issues you'd need to consider if you tryed this.

Firstly i don't thing bending is a good way to go about it at all! You could do all sorts of damage to surrounding panels and then there'd be the problem of getting each side lined up perfectly so the screen would still fit.

Also safety - How could you get away with doing this on an MOT/SVA test. I know there are convertable minis but they were manufactured like that. You'd need to create some pretty serious rollbar/cage work to protect the driver in the event that the car was ever rolled. Not to mention the structural integrity of the car after 'bending' a major part of the shell.

Edited by minimadmike, 08 May 2008 - 09:47 PM.

#3 midridge2

midridge2

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 11:46 AM

a home made roop chop will need a enginners report before you can insure the car in most cases because the floor needs re enforcing.
if you move the screen angle you will also need to do work on the door tops and have new glass made for the doors.

#4 dangregory007

dangregory007

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 02:18 AM

I'm just interested if anyone has done this before, not about the roof chop. I'm not worried about the door glass not lining up etc as I'm building a sunny weather car first, with the canopy (if anything) being a secondary project. Any bending, which would only be of the windscreen frame, would be reinforced so I don't think structural integrity will be a problem, if anything it will be stronger once it's done

I'm working with a vehicle certifier in regards to the roof chop and strengthening the chassis. I'm in New Zealand so we have different testing standards to you guys in the UK

#5 Angusdog

Angusdog

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 11:26 AM

Hey Dan, another kiwi! From reading Hot Car about 25 years ago (!) I seem to remember them cutting a slot in the back side, cranking it back and welding it back up. You could still run doors, a bit more work I guess and custom glass. Where in NZ you'd get that, I have no idea. :thumbsup:

Also, perhaps you should talk to your certifying engineer. They've usually dealt with so many hot rods, they'll know what you need. I believe they'll want a meaty roll over bar anyway, so windscreen strength may not be so much of an issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users