Lacuna

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Local Club: Bournemouth / South Coast

Posted 10 May 2008 - 10:58 PM

Hey,

I've decided I want my engine block and some other engine bay bits painted purple. Problem is I can not find purple heat resistant paint anywhere!! I can only find shades of black, red and occasionally blue... where are all the other colours are hiding?

Does anyone know where I can go to get a wider selection of colours, namely purple?

Thank you :P
~ Lacuna

#2 Waffs1984

Waffs1984

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 01:10 PM

Hammerite smooth finish is the same as high temp paint but a fraction of the cost, they do most colours although i've not seen purple myself i'd be surprised if they didnt do it!

#3 Lacuna

Lacuna

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 02:32 PM

Thanks for that, I'll look into it and hopefully they do!

I did find this company, but you are right, it is rather expensive paint. If you don't mind spending the cash though, they let you pick pretty much any colour under the sun.

by the way could anyone tell me approximately how much paint it takes to cover an engine block?

~ Lacuna

#4 PortlandJon

PortlandJon

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Local Club: Jurassic Coast Mini's

Posted 12 May 2008 - 02:51 PM

I painted the front of my engine and one inner wing with Epoxy Mastic from www.rust.co.uk and mixed 3 table spoons of resin with the same of hardener with some to spare.

Jon

#5 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 06:33 PM

by the way could anyone tell me approximately how much paint it takes to cover an engine block?

~ Lacuna

I bought a 250ml halfords can and managed to give all the block (excluding back and rad side) 4 coats and still have half a tin left.

#6 Lacuna

Lacuna

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 10:06 PM

I bought a 250ml halfords can and managed to give all the block (excluding back and rad side) 4 coats and still have half a tin left.

Ah! Excellent. Thanks minimadmike ;D

~ Lacuna (am also minimad ;D)

#7 Lacuna

Lacuna

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 04:47 PM

Ok, so I've emailed Hammerite, and (was actually quite surprised to receive a rather prompt) reply of:

Hammerite Metal Paint can withstand minus 20ºC (-4ºF) to 150ºC (300ºF) maximum intermittent when fully cured. Continuous 80ºC (180ºF) when fully cured.
Please note: Colours may fade after prolonged exposure at temperatures exceeding 50ºC (120ºF).

Hammerite Metal Paint is currently available in 8 colours, black, white, red, blue, dark green, gold, silver and copper.

I thought an engine became lot hotter than those temperatures? Not that I'll doubt you if you (Waffs and minimadmike) say that you've used it and it stays nicely on the engine.

Sadly they don't seem to do purple. I think I smell a niche... :thumbsup:

~ Lacuna

#8 PortlandJon

PortlandJon

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Local Club: Jurassic Coast Mini's

Posted 14 May 2008 - 08:46 PM

I used this stuff on my engine. I phoned the company to check if it would be suitable to use it and was told that it is good up to a constant 120C and engines don't get that hot apart from around the exhaust. Think about it, if the engine got hotter than that the coolant water would turn to steam and not cool the engine. Even though it is a sealed system meaning that water will not boil until above 100C the pressure in the system is not great enough to above about 110C. I say use Hammerite or the epoxy stuff above.

Jon

#9 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 08:52 PM

You can mix hammerite. blue + red... purple. Buy one small tin of each and get mixing.

#10 HARBER07

HARBER07

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,498 posts
  • Local Club: Naaa......

Posted 14 May 2008 - 08:58 PM

You can mix hammerite. blue + red... purple. Buy one small tin of each and get mixing.

Such an obvious answer. Yet i still thought it was quite clever :lol: .

#11 Waffs1984

Waffs1984

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 09:46 AM

Well hese a pic of my engine in Yellow... not quite finished yet but we're getting there! Had it running for about 30mins lastnight (first time after painting) and its fine, plus its only about £5.50 a tin! >_<)

Posted Image

Matt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users