1 reply to this topic

#1 dave21478

dave21478

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 05:27 PM

Hi, some chuffer who owned my shell previously has made a start to de-seaming the a-pillers. Now, the a-panels will be getting replaced soon by me, so that section isnt the problem, but he has fully re-welded one windcsreen pillar and done 3/4 of the other pillar. Im not particularly in favour of deseaming, but ive got nothing against it either, plus my van isnt going to be original anyway, so Im not worried either way really.
What would the masses do?
option1 - finish off the deseam job (grind flat, plus a little welding on the other pillar), then deseam the a-panel section too when I fit them and go seamless.
option2 - leave the seam on the new a-panel, grind flat whats been welded already, then weld on wee tabs to the pillars to hold the seam covers, so it looks like the seams are still there?

He has already removed the front bumper mounting seam, but im completely undecided whether to leave this off, or to re-weld some mounting brackets to take a bumper.

#2 jack_marshall

jack_marshall

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 10:49 PM

Personally I'd carry on because Im a fan of deseaming, as Ive done mine too.

Also, check out 'minivanman' project on here, Im pretty sure the front of his van is deseamed and it looks really well suited I think.

Doing the A pillars/A panels is definately the easiest part of the car to deseam and wont take long at all to finish.

Regarding the bumper lip, you can buy these from Minispares really cheap if you decide you want a bumper on the front.

Easier and neater than welding tabs on I think!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users