#1 penfold38

penfold38

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 08:14 PM

Hi,
Iam currently rebuilding a Clubman 1275 GT 1979 and have a seperate thread in the rebuild section, the shell is very rusty, the drivers side A panel was rotten at the bottom after removal i found this rot.

My question is what panels do i need to repair this, my knowledge of panels is limited and iam new to all this restoration, and an idea or link to a supplier would be useful and correct panels.

Cheers.
Posted Image

#2 jack_marshall

jack_marshall

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 10:44 PM

To me it looks like you will need;

Flitch/bulkhead repair panel.
Door step repair panel.

Likely you may also need;

Inner and outer sills and possibly a floor pan if its spread far and wide.

Hard to say exactly without better pictures.

#3 penfold38

penfold38

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 06:48 AM

The floor has been replaced/repaired at some stage so is very solid there the outter sill is totally shot just breaks off.

here is a better picture, very keen to get some new panels so a point in the right direction would be helpful.

Posted Image

#4 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 14 May 2008 - 06:58 AM

Does not look too bad, you could by pattern panels, but Id be tempted to first cut out all the rot and see what could be built using plain steel..

#5 baggy33minis

baggy33minis

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • Local Club: none at the moment

Posted 16 May 2008 - 11:51 PM

i would definately buy the door step.you may only need to cut a small section of it to use.But it is shaped in several ways and they are cheap.The flitch will probably just repair quite easy if you can fabricate a small plate.I am used to dealing with much worse.Again you could buy the flitch panel and just cut a piece from it.they are about 11 quid i think.

#6 penfold38

penfold38

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 09:11 PM

Hello again, well once the word got round i'm restoring a mini i have been given some repair panels that people have had in there garages for years 2 off sils flitch repair panels, boot corner repair panel and two other panels not sure what they are, so i trial fitted the panels to see the fit, just wanted your advice on if the fitting is correct in the picture.
Posted Image

#7 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 08:13 AM

That looks right to me,.. before you spotr weld that sill seam together though,.. de-rust the inside and paint absolutely cover it with waxoil/dinitrol. Will keep the Rust at bay for a long time to come.

#8 penfold38

penfold38

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 03:54 PM

Also found this on the same door post what shall i do with it.??

Posted Image

#9 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 04:20 PM

grind it back until you're left with good metal, then you can see what needs replacing... as you can see, it's two peices of metal so you might find only one half needs work on where as the other lip will need replacing... If this is the case,.. you would need to cut a patch out,.. seam weld the patch in then spot weld/plug weld the two lips back together.

#10 penfold38

penfold38

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 04:07 PM

After poking around a bit more found this rust at the top...maybe the panel needs replacing they call it the boxing panel in a catalogue i have part number ALA5686.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users