#16 Gr4h4m

Gr4h4m

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts
  • Local Club: Club less.....

Posted 15 May 2008 - 09:51 AM

if you run the mirage manifold you dont ned the bulk head box..

http://www.miragemotorsport.com/

#17 mini_lad_1990

mini_lad_1990

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • Local Club: aint got one yet!!

Posted 15 May 2008 - 10:12 AM

yea i know witht he mirage system no bulkhead mods needed it maybe dearer but im thinking the car wont be off the road do long then if i do it this way

cheers

#18 Sam Walters

Sam Walters

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 10:48 AM

mg metro engine and mg metro turbo engine are basicly the same, subtle diffrences but the same for your purpose.

#19 mini_lad_1990

mini_lad_1990

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 11:05 AM

ahh so if i just get the metro engine and a spereate turbo it will work??

i was going to get a new turbo when i bought the mirage manifolds i was going to order the t2 off them?? would that be best or there other one the hybrid???

cheers

#20 Ro8bieg

Ro8bieg

• Members
  • 1,581 posts
  • Local Club: Fylde Mini Club

Posted 15 May 2008 - 11:23 AM

i have a standard 1275cc engine from a 92 sprite. Would i need to change the pistons in this or not?
I dont think it would take long to do the bulkhead tho mini lad. Would save you 350 quid or what ever it is

#21 mini_lad_1990

mini_lad_1990

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 11:32 AM

me mate did his and he had to take the dash out the heater matrix out to mate to be able to weld the back of the bulk when its been cut i may be wrong but thats the way he did it and i cant be bothered to have the car off the road when i could get the manifolds and have the car back on the road with in a day and ready for the rolling road im thinking of quickness mate not practility

cheers

#22 mini_lad_1990

mini_lad_1990

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 11:36 AM

has anyone done the bulkhead on here before and how long did it take toy to do it as i have never done it thats why i did'nt want to do the bulk head mod all my other minis had it done lol cheated

cheers

#23 Ro8bieg

Ro8bieg

• Members
  • 1,581 posts
  • Local Club: Fylde Mini Club

Posted 15 May 2008 - 11:38 AM

for me it would be easier because my engine isnt in my mini as its just a shell but im sure many people will have advice on here

#24 Sleepy Stu

Sleepy Stu

formerly Stewart_GT

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 12:44 PM

Personally i think the bulkhead mod is the better option. Its a hell of a lot cheaper and gives you the extra room needed so your not always struggling for space.

However having said that i will still be going with the mirage kit when i get round to dropping my turbo in as Delilah is looking so pretty now im not about to start chopping her up.

As for the pistons you have a lot of other parts to source and decide on before that. The main one being what compression ratio you want to run. Then in order to achieve it you will either need dished pistons, enlarged chambers on the head or a combination of both.

Proabbly best to source an engine first and then you can see what parts you have in front of you what you need to keep what you need to bin and go from there.

#25 Turbo Nick

Turbo Nick

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,913 posts
  • Local Club: Turbominis.co.uk

Posted 15 May 2008 - 12:47 PM

i did my bulkhead mods in about 2 hours taking my time to do it properly. but i had the engine out and i was ditching the heater and making my own dash anyway.

there's no way you'll get the mirage setup done in a day unless you've got a spare engine to do the mockup on, you'll still need to fab up an actuator bracket and make an oil drain.

Edited by bud666, 15 May 2008 - 12:48 PM.

#26 woody17

woody17

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • Local Club: three valleys mini club

Posted 15 May 2008 - 12:48 PM

thanks for the replys guys!

#27 mini_lad_1990

mini_lad_1990

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 01:20 PM

thanks for the replys guys!!

so the mirage system works but i got to make a braket up for the actuator which way would be better to do it/?

doing the bulkhead mod is it hard to get the heater matrix out and i still got a engine in the car so would that be possible to do it with the engine still in the car??do i need any mod brakets ect if i go the bulkhead way?

cheers

#28 mighty_mini

mighty_mini

Sambo Spoon

• Members
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 02:56 PM

I would say give yourself a week to get a turbo conversion done. Assuming your working a job too. Just to be ready for problems that may crop up.

#29 mini_lad_1990

mini_lad_1990

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 04:01 PM

im use to problems haha

i was wondering could i fit metro turbo pistons to a 1275 engine N/A?? would that work as they are made for a turbo engine or will i need a set with a lower C/R

links will be great

cheers

#30 Turbo Phil

Turbo Phil

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,418 posts
  • Local Club: Cumbria Classic Mini Club

Posted 15 May 2008 - 04:43 PM

If you're on a budget by far the cheapest way would be to buy a standard 1275 A+ engine and lower the compression to a suitable level by having the chambers enlarged in the head.

Phil.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users