maieth

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Local Club: Splinters Mini Club

Posted 14 May 2008 - 07:21 PM

hey guys.

Need to work some extra drainage holes into the roof-gutters on my mini.
Where I park at home the car is at a diagonal uphill angle and if it rains (and when i wash the car), the water all collects in the offside back corner, but behind the existing drainage gaps therefore it just sits there. this is already causing some paint bubbling that i need to fix and rust won't be far behind if im not careful.
It's easy enough for me to drill some small holes at the very corners where needed, but I wanted to know what i will need to do after they are done as it is obviously unwise to leave bare metal.
Body is BRGpearl, roof is Silver. What primers/treatment would you recommend, especially is it will only be a tiny area, almost a touch up?

Thanks in advance

#2 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 14 May 2008 - 07:36 PM

Drilling holes would cause more problems than it would solve. The roof seam lip is 2 panels, so the water would creep between them and cause it to rot. I'd get the bubbling rust fixed properly at a bodyshop, and don't worry about the water sitting, it will do no harm whatsoever if the gutter is in good condition.

#3 SolarB

SolarB

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 09:57 AM

You can add old style drainage slits in the gutter without breaking through to the second layer of metal.
[attachment=58027:JGC_8_d.JPG]
I cut these ones with a fine disc on a Dremmel and then punched them out with a former and hammer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users