10 replies to this topic

#1 dean_chad

dean_chad

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 10:00 PM

wahooooooooo, the car went straight through the m.o.t. IM ON THE ROAD!!! thing is i seem to be gettng the same problem as d.d had on his mini. I think we hav the same engine and problem but its unclear what solved his fault when i read through his build. At around 7/8000 rpm the engine struggles and i cant seem to get and more revs under load. Was it a re-jet that fixed the problem?
cheers

#2 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 10:01 AM

wahooooooooo, the car went straight through the m.o.t. IM ON THE ROAD!!! thing is i seem to be gettng the same problem as d.d had on his mini. I think we hav the same engine and problem but its unclear what solved his fault when i read through his build. At around 7/8000 rpm the engine struggles and i cant seem to get and more revs under load. Was it a re-jet that fixed the problem?
cheers

It needs to properly jetted ideally on a rolling road, even small changes effect the fueling on the carb R1

Cheers
David

#3 markrally

markrally

Z Cars

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts
  • Local Club: Miniaddicts.co.uk

Posted 22 May 2008 - 01:48 PM

If i recall, D D actually took his to be setup by TTS but i can recommend my local rolling road as they specialize in bike engine stuff as they sort out a lot of grass track cars with bike engines
They have just done a Reliant kitten with a z cars frame in it fitted with a kawasaki zx10 engine on carbs so they really know there stuff. Only 5 mins from my house.

Cheers

#4 dean_chad

dean_chad

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 06:31 PM

I didnt realise it could affect the engine that much i mean i recon im getting around 2/3 power. was hoping for a rolling road a little nearer as i have no trailer anymore. Anybody know of anyone? I remember D.D sayin he wasnt happy with the service at t.t.s

#5 supermotolee

supermotolee

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 08:17 PM

as a quick fix run a 2mm drill through your main jets (they are gonna need replacing anyway) mine runs ok for the time being on this

or get a dynojet kit

in no way am i saying this is better than a dyno set up but it should allow the engine to rev out in relative saftey

#6 z cars chris

z cars chris

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 09:03 PM

sounds like you have std jets and needles in the engine
if you fit the non std exhaust and a non std air box it effects the amount of vacumn that the engine pulls and it gets less fuel
a dyno jet kit will sort it out and a dyno session to check correct fuelling
a simple test of this is to cover up your air filter with an old shopping carrier bag wrapped round it and just leave a 50 mm size hole for air to get through if this makes it rev out then you need bigger jets and different profile needles
chris
PS we are getting our own dyno fitted first week in june so can sort all this sort of stuff out for our customers from then onwards

#7 dean_chad

dean_chad

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 09:27 PM

thanks people. ive just thought ive still got the standard air box. is it worth throwing that on for a bit? will it fit under the bulkhead?

Edited by dean_chad, 22 May 2008 - 09:34 PM.

#8 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 09:40 PM

make your decision now regarding air filter or original air box as changing it after your rolling road setup will require another trip to the rolling road even a small change like that will upset your fuelling

Cheers
David

#9 dean_chad

dean_chad

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 09:43 PM

i think im going to leave it with the filters on i just want to see what its like full revs!! i know performance will be down but at least i can see before it goes. it shouldnt take to long to change them over

Edited by dean_chad, 22 May 2008 - 10:09 PM.

#10 PushingTin

PushingTin

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 12:48 PM

How did this turn out? I ran the car in cold weather and had the same issue...... No pull from 7000-8800 rpm, how did you fix it?

Thanks

PT

#11 z cars chris

z cars chris

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 07:14 PM

you need to re jet it with a dynojet kit reprofiled needles and a range of jets all comer in the box
ive got half a dozen kits in stock normally £100 plus vat
you can have a kit for £50 delivered inc vat
chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users