2 replies to this topic

#1 mighty_mini

mighty_mini

Sambo Spoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 04:12 PM

I Have a 12g940 head, which has been extensively worked. I Measured the valve sizes and they seem to be the same as the MGMetro (Non-Turbo). The head came off a 1430 turbo and i asked if it had sodium cooled exhaust valves and he said yes.

Is there anyway to check if its sodium cooled ans they dont seem to have that little recess like the std turbo ones, but they also seem to be like the 10p on a stick type valves the same style as the rimflo valves.

Also is there anyway i can find out if its unleaded without knowing the engine ID ?

I was thinking of getting new unleaded seats set in anyway, but the exhaust valves are my current concern,can i trust what this guy says?

Thanks in advance

Dave

#2 Turbo Phil

Turbo Phil

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,418 posts
  • Local Club: Cumbria Classic Mini Club

Posted 24 May 2005 - 06:12 PM

Identification of the sodium exhaust valves is easy, the stems are thicker {7.93mm} as oppose to the standard inlet valve stems {6.93mm}. This is obvious to the eye, or measure with a vernier to be sure.
I wouldn't worry about them being sodium filled, i run a stainless exhaust valve with no problems, as do others.

Regarding the valve seats, remove an exhaust valve from the head and inspect the seat. It's usually quite easy to see if there is a hardened insert fitted.

Hope this helps.
Phil. :lol:

#3 mighty_mini

mighty_mini

Sambo Spoon

• Members
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 07:38 PM

Once again phil, textbook reply...

*bows*

:grin: