#1 iansmini

iansmini

One Carb Or Two?

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts
  • Local Club: my own SPECIAL one!

Posted 25 May 2008 - 10:11 PM

I have been looking up on FG fronts over the past couple of weeks and just need a few final answers before I go down this road.
First of all I don't really want to flip it I just want it to be secured like the original panels can this be done as I don't really want it covered in dzus and pins and clips etc. Is there anyway in which to make the front a permanent fixture?
Also there is alot of talk adjusting the wiring on FG fronts is it just the flip front were extension is needed would the wiring not need any modifications if say the front was permanent?
I am also looking at the 2 piece front from TDK racing with the a panels attached do these bond to the existing shell and can you still use the seam because I actually like the seams strange I know!
Sorry for the questions its just that I couldn't find the answers to these questions anywhere!

#2 Geehawk

Geehawk

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 07:15 AM

FG front are really designed to be removable, or to flip which is why wiring tends to need modification.

I really cannot see the point in bonding one on permanently. I'm sure it would be possible with a little work (or more likely lots) but I doubt you would get a great fit and finish.
You would still need to fit brace bars I would have thought as I dont believe it could be attached in such a way as to retain the strength of a welded steel front end.

Far better to get it done properly i.e. with steel panels, if you have no desire to flip or remove it.

#3 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:01 AM

Yeah anything's possible, check out my project thread on Tiny, I fitted a semi permanent FG front. If you want it completely permanent, I don't really see the point or advantage over the correct steel panels which if fitted properly will outlast the rest of the car.

#4 iansmini

iansmini

One Carb Or Two?

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:08 AM

HMM I shall have a gander Mr. beater, cheers! I do get what you both mean about fitting a permanent FG front as in say the fit, but the advantage of going FG for me was the rust and also the fact that I can't weld but I'm sure the bloke three doors would give me a lift as he has just fitted a new steel front end to his mini.
But regarding the strength and what not I was thinking perhaps it could be braced and made stronger all over the front a bit like a mini subframe roll cage and then the bond/attach the front after that work.

#5 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,606 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:13 AM

Sounds like a lot of hassle to me!

#6 iansmini

iansmini

One Carb Or Two?

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:40 AM

I know what you mean now after reading through your thread, tidy!
One question if you don't mind, how did you sort out the wiring so that it would be compatible with a FG front?

#7 Geehawk

Geehawk

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:40 AM

If you can't weld then how are you going to fabricate all of the one off bracing, and strengthening to bond the fibreglass front to ?
A new set of panels could be welded on in a much shorter time than designing and building supporting framework for fibre glass panels.
And as Mr BeaterPeter says, done properly (and looked after) steel panels will last just great :(

#8 mike49

mike49

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 10:03 AM

get a steel front and look after it!

#9 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,606 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 10:09 AM

One question if you don't mind, how did you sort out the wiring so that it would be compatible with a FG front?

The guy I bought it off sorted all that, lawnmower connectors, can be bought from Maplins. Could have been done better, but I've tidied it all up a bit now.

#10 iansmini

iansmini

One Carb Or Two?

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 10:11 AM

If you can't weld then how are you going to fabricate all of the one off bracing, and strengthening to bond the fibreglass front to ?
A new set of panels could be welded on in a much shorter time than designing and building supporting framework for fibre glass panels.
And as Mr BeaterPeter says, done properly (and looked after) steel panels will last just great :(

I see what you mean lol! Yeah the impracticality is not so good and must say I do prefer the way a steel front is properly pressed but I'm still thinking that a Fg front does sound a bit more practical for a man in my position where my mini has no permanent place to live when not being driven.

HMMMM may have to give the wiring a thought a bit more and take it from there the front's a bit tatty at the mo but if I sanded it all back filled etch primed, primed and sprayed it could last a whole 12 months more maybe even longer as it hasn't rotted through the pokey screwdirver test works every time!

#11 iansmini

iansmini

One Carb Or Two?

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 10:16 AM

The guy I bought it off sorted all that, lawnmower connectors, can be bought from Maplins. Could have been done better, but I've tidied it all up a bit now.

Correct me if I'm wrong but that would be were the wire has been spliced connectors on both ends and then fired into say a plug like this guy has maybe?
linky

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users