#1 Brawlyrox

Brawlyrox

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,066 posts
  • Local Club: Cornish MOC

Posted 19 February 2004 - 03:04 PM

ok i have had an email, from a website user and im afraid i cant help him.

this is the message that i was given

do you have any info on replacing and/or removing Mini Front subframes. I have
read your helpful info on rear subframes on the Miniforum wedsite but I have
been unable to find any useful info on front subframes.
I am restoring a 1979 Mini and I am hoping to fit a 1275 unit when the bodywork,
suspension and brakes  are finished.
Any useful info would be much appreciated.

yours in anticipation

Keith Downes.

Please can anybody help so i can supply him with an answer

thanx Nick

#2 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 20 February 2004 - 03:26 PM

The front subframe is a very easy part to remove.

It is held on by only a bunch of bolts.

1) Disconnect all brake hoses, engine wiring etc. anything that needs disconnecting for the subframe to be removed. Note that the subframe can be removed complete with wheels engine gearbox etc.

2) Inside the car pull up the carpets and on the footwells going up (diagonally), a bit towards the centre, there will be two plates with 2 bolts each I think. Unscrew those.

3) Remove the front subframe mounting bolts. Looking directly from the front at the car, they are found inside the two round holes in the valance, which allow you to reach the subframe moutning bolts (1 on each side) with a nice socket wrench.

4) Remove the tiebar nuts (i dont think this needs to be done but I read somewhere that it should so do it anyway, it takes two minutes). Again these are found looking at the car from the front. Peak under the front valance and see where the tiebars come to the front panel/valance. Should be held on by one nut for each tie-bar. Easily comes off.

5) If everything is disconnected, the subframe is ready for removal. Using a jack or pulley system, start lifting the car body by the front panel. Once you lift it a few feet you should be able to roll the subframe out from the front from under the body.

I have not actually done this note (I started trying on my mk2 but the bolts were rather rusty and i dont have a larger socket driver now to attempt it) but with the right tools and if your car is in semi-decent condition, then this doesnt seem a hard task!

Pavel

#3 Dom

Dom

Moved Into The Mazda

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,685 posts

Posted 20 February 2004 - 10:16 PM

what are the key signs of a subframe going?

#4 Telejmp

Telejmp

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 20 February 2004 - 10:56 PM

minicooperman, My front subframe needs replacing because its bent. Even with the tracking properly adjusted the car veers to the left and rips tyres up.
As for any other reasons to replace it, im not sure, but I would imagine when rusty bits start falling off, your ready for a new one. it would have to get that bad before I would attempt to replace one, hehe. Im lazy though,
pEaCE
Dom
EDIT: I forgot to add, before I replace mine, bluemini suggested I try some suspension bits first, to see if its those that are actually bent, ill do that first as they are easy.

#5 Brawlyrox

Brawlyrox

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,066 posts
  • Local Club: Cornish MOC

Posted 20 February 2004 - 11:52 PM

Thanks for the help! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users