6 replies to this topic

#1 sidewalkdave

sidewalkdave

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 04:25 PM

i really want to improve the acceleration on my mini spi. I am happy with the top speed but would really like a 0-60 time of about 8 seconds. firstly is this possible with an spi and with keeping the top speed as it is and what would i have to do so far i have been thinking
sw5 cam
stage 3 head
lightened flywheel
maybe bored to 1380

what sort of power would i be getting with this set up 0-60 times etc?

my car already has a stage 1 kit
any opinions would be great and if anyone has done this themselfs i would be greatfull of any info. i have searched the internet and cant find very much info on tuning the spi
thank you

#2 DaveRob

DaveRob

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 07:05 PM

the lightened fly is a difficult one.... you have to go down the pre verto route.... and that maens moving your sensor from the fly to the other end and fitting a trigger wheel at the pully end... Im doing a 100BHP rebuild theirs a post on here somewhere but Ive got bogged down in bodywork at the mo... My spec is

1380cc
11:1 compression ratio
36/31 gas flowed head
Inlet manifold ported to match the head and doweled to the head for location
Bore throttle body to suit and use a HIF 44 throttle plate
Rover 1.4K16SPi injector
1.5:1 rockers with valve springs matched to their use, titanium spring caps
Lightened cam followers
Kent 274 Scatter Pattern camshaft timed in correctly using lightened vernier gears
Maniflow Big bore LCB
2" exhaust system
lightened connecting rods with ARP bolts
Wedged bladed, cross drilled tuffened balanced crankchaft
Steel Center main strap with minimum 8.8 tensile bolts
ultralight steel flywheel, steel backplate, AP racing bonded clutch plate and orange diaphragm with complete pre verto conversion
S damper pully and MED trigger wheel assembly
Im going to use the Rover GTa ECU... pin for pin compatable with the Mini single plug and compare it to the std Cooper ECU as the GTa has fuel map for a 106BHP car.

At the mo I have all the bits ready to assemble just held up with body mods... but hope to have it all sorted in 3 weeks..... and the clock is definatly ticking loudly.

As always Kudos and thanks to Sprocket

Rob

Edited by DaveRob, 01 June 2008 - 07:06 PM.

#3 sidewalkdave

sidewalkdave

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 09:17 PM

i see and what do you hope to achive 0-60 wise?
im not very technical minded so i dont want to change everything because if ever something goes wrong with it it will be in a garage with the spec i listed what would you say i would have 0-60 wise and bhp and torque wise?
im just trying to achive a fun drivable car which is reliable
can you fit the bigger injector ion a stage 1 spi or would it over fuel
also i could change down to a lowwer final drive like 3:44 if that would help

cheers

#4 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 02 June 2008 - 12:14 AM

To achieve 0-60 of 8 seconds, you need more than 100bhp if you are considering sticking with the 3.1 final drive you have. That and putting the car on a major surgery diet.

What you have listed along with 1380 and the 3.44 final drive will give you a fun car, might not be the 8 seconds you want, but it will transform the car, so much i doubt you wont be happy. Dont go more than this if you are getting a garage to look after it for you.

You will be looking at around the 80 - 85bhp and about 80lbft at the flywheel with the sw5 cam

#5 sidewalkdave

sidewalkdave

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 03:53 PM

thanks for that you have been really usefull is the sw5 cam the only spi friendly cam

#6 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 02 June 2008 - 06:20 PM

Nope

I can personaly recomend the Kent 274, and I have had experience of the Kent 274SP which is the wildest cam you can buy for the injection engines.

There are others from the likess of Minisport and Morspeed, but they are primaraly the SW5 and the Kent 274, or combinations of both.

I have always favoured the Kent brand over everything else, but thats my opinion :D

#7 sidewalkdave

sidewalkdave

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 07:39 PM

so with a stage 3 kit and new cam what will 0-60 be like and what difference performace wise would a 3:44 final drive make compared to my 3:11

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users