21 replies to this topic

#1 tommycrf450

tommycrf450

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 05:57 AM

Hi i am sprinting my zcar on saturday just to get a feel for it at the Abingdon sprint. Is anyone else interested in doing it as i think you may still get in. In my class i'm up against Westfield 1700's, Caterham superlight 1600's and a fisher fury so should be fun. I've never driven my car before except round a car park so should be interesting.

Tommy

#2 Ade

Ade

the bogie man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 09:34 AM

Hi i am sprinting my zcar on saturday just to get a feel for it at the Abingdon sprint. Is anyone else interested in doing it as i think you may still get in. In my class i'm up against Westfield 1700's, Caterham superlight 1600's and a fisher fury so should be fun. I've never driven my car before except round a car park so should be interesting.

Tommy

Hi Tommy

Have you had the geometry done already? Because i wouldn't recommend driving it without it properly done. Makes a world of difference :withstupid:

Ade

PS I might see if I'm in the area :dontgetit: Have you got details?

#3 Matt

Matt

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,703 posts
  • Local Club: The mini forum - i live here

Posted 05 June 2008 - 04:02 PM

i might be interested in just coming to have a look.. but not heard about it around here :S

#4 tommycrf450

tommycrf450

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 04:27 PM

Hi yes all the geometry was done by z cars recently so the car is good to go except for a bit of wiring here and there.

#5 eastside

eastside

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 07:39 PM

Tom,can you please reply to my emails/PMs(bootlid)

#6 tommycrf450

tommycrf450

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 11:02 PM

Tom,can you please reply to my emails/PMs(bootlid)

I just have. I didn't see them.

#7 Ade

Ade

the bogie man

• Members
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 09:50 PM

Well I went along to Abingdon to see Tommy's first runs out.

Car looked good. Tommy clearly wasn't the type of person to take it steady on the practice runs to get a feel or the track, as all of us watching thought he came hammering down to the chicane section (where the spectators were) alot quicker than any of the cars before him........

Posted Image

No-one else had done this though....... :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Coming soon the second attempt :P

Edited by Ade, 08 June 2008 - 09:50 PM.

#8 Ade

Ade

the bogie man

• Members
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 10:08 PM

Right, the second practice run had something familiar about it.........

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

:P

It was at this point I imparted some of my wisdom from everything i learned building mine........ :)

See the results of that wisdom tomorrow.

#9 tommycrf450

tommycrf450

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 06:16 AM

Ade, that is hilarious. Not quite the racing driver yet then eh!!! It was nice to see you on Saturday. Sorry i didn't get more of a chance to chat to you. It was all a bit hectic for my first time out. Great fun though. You must come along again. Things are much much better now. Firstly after letting the tyres down from about 35psi to 18 the car immediately had some more grip. Then i decided to turn the brake bias right down to virtually nothing on the rear. It was only then that i realised it must have been about 90/10 to the rear. it was like a kart to drive before that. Then i checked the suspension settings at the front and they were 14 clicks on one, 4 on another and on the back it was 13 on one and 6 on the other.. So finally the car was stopping in a straight line and starting to handle. I was never that impressed with the outright speed of the car though...... until yesterday when i took it down my local airfield. I thought i'd mess around with the fuel regulator as the car still felt a bit lumpy and after doing that it was literally like someone had strapped a turbocharger to it, it must have gained a good 60-70bhp. Now i'm happy and i'm gonna sprint it at Lydden next weekend just for a bit more of a shakedown- see what else falls off!

Pop round anytime Ade. Have a play in it yourself.

Thanks

Tommy

#10 Ade

Ade

the bogie man

• Members
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 08:19 AM

Hi Tommy

To be fair this was all a bit tongue in cheek as I thought you were doing a grand job for your first time out! It was a good laugh and I'll deffo come again.

Particularly after the tyre pressures went down! This is the last run I captured before I had to get on my way.....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

As Tommy accelerated out of the chicane this time I did think to myself the car didn't sound quite right..... not sure what it was just sounded subdued and not pulling particularly well.

It looked like the mini agreed with me as shortly after the last run I saw this what the last vision i had of the mini moving.

Posted Image

I'm assuming you got this sorted the Tommy? What was it in the end?

What are the details of Lydden ie when are you going etc how did you go afterward?

I'll catch you again soon.

#11 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 09:11 AM

Oooo, your going to Lydden? I'd love to come and spectate! Let me know when you'll be there and I'll see if I can make it down.

#12 Ade

Ade

the bogie man

• Members
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 09:23 AM

Bugger just discovered I can't make Saturday! Oh well I'll have to make sure I come along to Oulton park then.

#13 Chris_w

Chris_w

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Local Club: TWMC

Posted 09 June 2008 - 04:50 PM

Hi Tommy,
my Dad and I were admiring the preperation on your car on Saturday, very nice! Glad to see you get it out again, feared for the worst when we saw it being towed back in.

Was excellent days racing, really enjoyed both courses though we struggled with our long gearing on the Bentley course as we were bogging down badly out of the corners and had to use first on the final chicane! I also had a coming together with a cone whilst doing my best Paddy Hopkirk impression...

We were double driving in the orange and blue 1380 mini in Class 6, don't suppose you got any pics Ade?!?

We'll be at Lydden next Saturday, will be interesting to compare times,

Chris

#14 tommycrf450

tommycrf450

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 06:26 PM

The problem with the car was the fuel regulator. The domed nut came off the top and it wound itself out and cut off the fuel. Its a bit stupid of me but i never even checked the fuel pressure. There was so many things to do to get the car running that i forgot all about it. I thought the car went well but never felt like it was as quick as i thought it would be. I so wish i could turn back the clocks and have a few more runs now with the car running on full power. Its a totally different animal. Now it impresses me. And to think i couldn't keep it in a straight line beforehand!

Can anyone tell me; is it me or are them Yokohama A539's total poo. Even when they were hot on the airfield near me yesterday they still don't get sticky. What is a good sticky road going tyre please? I'm not bothered if it wears out in 500 miles i just want grip and it has to be road legal to sprint in the class i'm in.

#15 tommycrf450

tommycrf450

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 06:28 PM

Hi Tommy,
my Dad and I were admiring the preperation on your car on Saturday, very nice! Glad to see you get it out again, feared for the worst when we saw it being towed back in.

Was excellent days racing, really enjoyed both courses though we struggled with our long gearing on the Bentley course as we were bogging down badly out of the corners and had to use first on the final chicane! I also had a coming together with a cone whilst doing my best Paddy Hopkirk impression...

We were double driving in the orange and blue 1380 mini in Class 6, don't suppose you got any pics Ade?!?

We'll be at Lydden next Saturday, will be interesting to compare times,

Chris

Hi thanks, You looked like you were flying in yours. Now i understand why you seemed to be out so much!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users