TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 05 June 2005 - 04:04 PM

The build

After getting all the parts from morspeed i set to once i got back from university for a weekend so set to on this engine. Luckily i have a car loving and cool mum which let me assemble the engine in the kitchen. This was due to it being really clean, perfect for building an engine. The build started and in went the bearings shells and thrust shims torquing it up as I went, liberally lubricating with 20/50 from asda and checking for free movement of the crank. Then the end float on the crank… all was ok so far! So in went the big end bearing shells and place the pistons/rods in. All was going well with 3 out of the 4 in and torqued up with nice smooth movement. This was until the last one when a slip from the ring compressor snapped the oil. This would b a big B*gger as finding the right rings for it would take me the next 3 months and several phone calls to morspeed and morspeeds suppliers XRN engineering. The rings XRN supplied where too big and would not fit But still I continued to fit the cam, and other bits.

Attached Files

#17 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 04:08 PM

Eventually I got through a set of DEVES rings that seem to be right. They were extremely fidderly to fit so I kept 3 of the original oil rings and used one cylinder with the DEVES ring. This would end up being mistake no.1 I did not gap the ring. Or check how well it would hold the oil back until I started the engine and created an expensive smoke machine :lol:

Attached Files

#18 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 04:10 PM

The new rings from DEVES were a 3 piece type rather than the single type with expander ring.
And being at uni ment that the time for everything to happen was taking a long time as I could only work on it about once every 6 weeks... very frustrating

Attached Files

#19 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 04:12 PM

The day came to starting it and it was gorgeous, the car had not seen day light since the previous autumn but it would soon be back in the garage

Attached Files

#20 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 04:30 PM

Back to the dingy garage and engine back out, awaiting rings from minispares. I was told that the pistons were 2125 hepolite ones. Then after finding from mini spares there was a last number missing I had a look on the net. Going by the fact that previous rings were too big I believed I had 21253 pistons. These are high compression with a 3mm oil ring, but after receiving rings from minispares I was wrong they are infact 21251s. This meant that the next rings would be set 5… and it was firth time lucky! They were the right ones.

Attached Files

#21 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 04:40 PM

In between I bought some new shock absorbers as the gmax ones were a bit over power now. I went for the g-shocks ones on ebay. I then found out that theses were relabelled GAZ shocks ready for the American market but the company that were to buy them went bust. After having a quick drive with them on I can say that they are fantastic!

Attached Files

#22 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 05:01 PM

While the engine was out the first time the diff was rebuilt. This was rather daunting for me as id not had an experience with gear boxes, but soon got stuck in and had it back together in no time… still making sure everything was torqued up and had the right amount of freedom.

Attached Files

#23 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 05:04 PM

The gear box was clean from all dirt and oil

Attached Files

#24 Teapot

Teapot

TMF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,010 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 05:27 PM

:lol: OMG this is more exciting than watching TV.

Luckily i have a car loving and cool mum which let me assemble the engine in the kitchen. This was due to it being really clean, perfect for building an engine.

I love it all, it's amazing, tell us more, I'm fair dribbling :cry:
*clutches Kleenex to mouth* :saywhat:

#25 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 06:09 PM

Right so now the engine was back out and I finally had the right piston rings, I lubed up the cam lobes and torqued it all back up

Attached Files

#26 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 06:13 PM

This time i was going to make sure that no rings snapped, i couldn’t be doing with it again

Attached Files

#27 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 06:22 PM

Eventually got it all lifted back in, started it up, and there was a little smoke from the oil in the exhaust, a minute later and it had all cleared… nothing at all… put a big smile on mine and Wynns (madmax) face. Left it running to bed the cam in and bing it up 2 temp b4 taking it to the petrol station. Seemed fine all the say there, mayb a little rough but fuelling and timing wouldn’t be exactly spot on, with running nearly the same setting as on the 1275.

Attached Files

#28 Madmax

Madmax

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,638 posts
  • Local Club: Grimsby & Louth MOC

Posted 05 June 2005 - 11:31 PM

and then...

#29 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 11:49 PM

i got so p*ssed off with it i threw it in the bin.... the end.

#30 Jackman

Jackman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 07:25 AM

i got so p*ssed off with it i threw it in the bin.... the end.

What really happened then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users