8 replies to this topic

#1 rob mini

rob mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 05:02 PM

right heres some pics i cant work out how the hell its meant to go together but ive got it together in a way its obv not gonna work lol. HELP!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

thanks in advance, rob :lol:

#2 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 05:20 PM

Hi

What's the problem?? It looks fine to me...

#3 clubman katie B.F

clubman katie B.F

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 06:20 PM

first you have to cut the old gear stick in half to get the cup thing and spring off.

you should have got some "pins" that go in the top two holes

then you put the cup assembly over the quickshift (not under it like yours appears to be) like it used to go on the old stick.
then this should clip over the two pins.
then that bits ready

inside of the car with the carpet up, you need to take the two pins out of the old gear change housing......these can be real easy with a pair of mole grips...or as usual a complete knut to get off....... if after two and a half hours the pins wont pull out, (this is what i did) push the pins in so they are flush with the gear change housing, then just put the new collar (the thing with the pins and the two bolts) over the old housing, so the two bolts are in line with the two pins, i then tightened the two bolts up, slowly......if they are in the right place, they will push the pins in, which can be removed with a pair of long nosed pliers. then undo the bolts. put the quickshift together, then fit it, retighten the bolts and "fay presto"

i did exactly the same as you pal, but didn't bother with the spring...i drove a couple of miles to my local garage to ask for advice, as everytime i lifted the gear rod ton get reverse, it came off in my hands. good luck

#4 clubman katie B.F

clubman katie B.F

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 06:22 PM

quick note to mini doctors....sorry if the above is wrong.....it worked for me :lol:)

#5 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 05 June 2005 - 07:07 PM

IMO, unless it's made by KAD, it's not worth the effort, the one I put on my car lasted 3 days before is snapped at the pivot... Fortunately I have a garage full of spare ones, but I would have been left high and dry with no gearstick...

Apart from that Katie is right.

#6 rob mini

rob mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 07:21 PM

well its in and fitted now. i walked away and went back to it and could see what was wrong straight away. its all up together now anyways and seems to have quite a bit of movement, just need to get my engine built so i can see how it selects the cogs when its all together :lol:

#7 Gazman

Gazman

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 05:44 PM

Sorry to bump this but found it using the search.....

I want to know how the hell you get the pins out. I have tried and tried both to pull them out and push them in. They aren't going anywhere. Did you do it on the car or is there a better way.

I really am stuck so any help would be appreciated....

Thanks

#8 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 16 February 2007 - 07:33 PM

If they are being stubborn, then it's best to take the rod change unit off and get it on the bench... It's a simple matter of hitting them out with a punch and hammer

#9 Gazman

Gazman

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 05:28 PM

Can you tell me how I would do that??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users