#1 dougal

dougal

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • Local Club: bumpstart

Posted 25 June 2008 - 06:46 PM

well as some of you know dougal has had lots of new parts fitted to his engine bay, the best bit was his new carb and needle.
he was running beautifuly like a new car so as a final treat i thought a trip to the rolling road to give him a final tweak ;)

arrived in plymouth this morning put him on the rollers, 15 mins later after a bit of tinkering dougal starts coughing and spluttering and backfiring,
i started frowning at mr engine tuner, mr dougal told me not to worry "he has to sound worse before he sounds better"
i was not convinced,
he then took dougal out for a test drive came back and said he was misfiring, we will try new plugs
i took it out for a drive and it felt ok so we paid and started our journey home
just got onto the main road where we could put our foot down and the sound of the engine was terrible, and the car had lost all its top end power, so back to the engine tuner who said he hadnt touched anything top end, its the fuel pump not delivering enough fuel!!!
funny how it was delivering enough fuel doing 95 up the bypass and was fine yesterday
and he reckoned the noise was the diff has blown!!
he wasnt going to admit liability for anything, i am currently fuming
and car less again while i wait to see whats wrong with it, the car sounds like i,m driving with a wind turbine under the engine

so anyone thinking of getting your mini rolling roaded take it way out of the county because the so called engine tuners down this way arnt capable of making a sandwich :wub:

#2 Pie

Pie

Crazy About Mini's

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,695 posts
  • Local Club: GoGoAuto

Posted 25 June 2008 - 06:51 PM

Name and shame, also write to him and tell him unless you get a full refund, and he fizes your mini free of charge you are going to trading standards.

#3 biggav

biggav

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,830 posts
  • Local Club: South Central

Posted 25 June 2008 - 07:01 PM

Rolling roads i use do all their work at owner risk, if anything goes wrong on the rollers, they blame the owner for bringing a car that wasn't fit to be driven at full power. Did they carry out any power runs at all or just tinker before problems started?

#4 dougal

dougal

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 07:24 PM

Rolling roads i use do all their work at owner risk, if anything goes wrong on the rollers, they blame the owner for bringing a car that wasn't fit to be driven at full power. Did they carry out any power runs at all or just tinker before problems started?

yes car did power runs fine, it was his tinkering that did it, car turned from running lovely to coughing and spluttering after so called tinkering.
i have a 123 elec dizzy, all he did was retard the timing by 3 degrees, didnt do anything with the advance curve settings, dont think he knew what the dizzy was.
car has a 12 month old engine with new carb, radiator and everything so it was perfectly fit for RR sessions, he did a full check on the car before he started the session, ie compression test, that was the only plus on his side.

#5 dougal

dougal

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 07:47 PM

the last place i took the car couldnt fathom out why it was running so pants, i went on the internet and found i was using a ballast coil and i needed a 12 volt feed to my dizzy so i told him to put an extra wire in so it would recieve the 12 volts, he told me i was talking out my posterior but he did it anyway and it cured the problem ;)
then we found he had wired it in on the live side of the fuse box so it wasnt fused, poss fire hazard,
needless to say i wont be going back there and they took £160 for their trouble

#6 crocks

crocks

Porsche slayer!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 25 June 2008 - 08:01 PM

i used srd in launceston for my mini he did a top job, ;)

without naming names the chap ur talking about doesnt happen to sell jap imports does he next to sanderson motor house?

I spent alot of money with him trying to sort some problems out on my impreza it came out with more than it went in with all the time he just didnt have a clue and that was his thing.

#7 dougal

dougal

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 08:12 PM

i used srd in launceston for my mini he did a top job, :wub:

without naming names the chap ur talking about doesnt happen to sell jap imports does he next to sanderson motor house?

I spent alot of money with him trying to sort some problems out on my impreza it came out with more than it went in with all the time he just didnt have a clue and that was his thing.

not heard of srd,
the thing that makes me laugh is when i said i,d lost my top end speed on the car, he asked why i needed to drive over 65 anyway ;) that was when i should have thumped him

#8 Bigideas

Bigideas

The Oldest Swinger In Town

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • Local Club: Bumpstart Mini Club

Posted 25 June 2008 - 09:36 PM

I hope you can get Dougal fixed soon.

#9 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 25 June 2008 - 10:27 PM

Name and shame, also write to him and tell him unless you get a full refund, and he fizes your mini free of charge you are going to trading standards.

if it's who i think it is he's a member of TMF and post on here now and again

#10 Pie

Pie

Crazy About Mini's

• Banned
  • 7,695 posts
  • Local Club: GoGoAuto

Posted 26 June 2008 - 12:00 AM

even better than, name them and shame them. Let us all know who to stay away from. Stop other mini owners making mistakes.

#11 mighty_mini

mighty_mini

Sambo Spoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 01:18 AM

i used SRD with my clubby, but they couldnt get it running with the ITB's on MS... cost me £120 because of the problems we had with my silly mini. Going back down there now as i have got her running half decent now.

#12 dougal

dougal

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 07:36 AM

apparently, the "engine tuner" has a group booking of TMF, ers going up to see him for a RR session
soon, i didnt see anything in the meets section i think they need to be warned
DO THEY WANT THERE MINIS COMPLETELY TRASHED :(
i believe he said next week, they will all need AA cover for the way home if they go

#13 miniT

miniT

Puts the 'Bum' Into Bumpstart!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,021 posts
  • Local Club: Bumpstart Mini Club

Posted 26 June 2008 - 07:40 PM

Poor poor Dougal! :genius:

Hope he feels better soon, Phoebe sends some special love :) xxx

#14 janner

janner