6 replies to this topic

#1 paultrell

paultrell

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 08:14 PM

I have a small leak on the passenger side of my 1994 cooper 1.3 spi. It is coming from a small rectangular tube above the passenger side driveshaft boot. It seems to spray everywhere then trickle down the subframe to the floor. The tube where it comes from is below the timing chain near the fan belt. I have no idea what it is called. Please can someone help me identify it. Im hoping to get some pics of it at weekend but need to get it on ramps to do this.

Attached Files

#2 minicooper1.3i

minicooper1.3i

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Local Club: na

Posted 03 July 2008 - 11:54 AM

I might be wrong, but isn't that a picture of the steering rack through the sub frame? Not the driveshaft.

#3 paultrell

paultrell

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 08:04 PM

I might be wrong, but isn't that a picture of the steering rack through the sub frame? Not the driveshaft.

Ye sorry was the best pic of could get of where the leak is comin from. I am making it my mission to get a better pic of the leak this weeekend. Will update the post as soon as I get the picture. Cheers

#4 WiredbyWilson

WiredbyWilson

WiredByWilson

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts
  • Local Club: WiredByWilson

Posted 15 July 2008 - 08:09 PM

i'm not sure the rectangular thing is linked to oil (awaits a flaming), sounds like it might be the timing cover leaking.

mine has a supremem leak from the selector seal and the output shaft, but i keep topping her up as i have a new box for the new engine :lol: perpetual oil change :lol:

#5 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 15 July 2008 - 09:09 PM

I think he may be talking about the square assembly bracket on the side of the timing cover... well it's the only quare thing I can think of which is down that side of the engine..

Therefore.... flaming sounds of.... It's the Timing Cover :lol:

#6 paultrell

paultrell

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 05:37 PM

I think he may be talking about the square assembly bracket on the side of the timing cover... well it's the only quare thing I can think of which is down that side of the engine..

Therefore.... flaming sounds of.... It's the Timing Cover :D

Cheers for all these suggestions guys, and I think your right I have seen this on minispares (http://www.minispare....aspx?pid=32792) and it looks like the part that is leaking oil. To repair this do I need to replace the timing gasket or another gasket as I have found 2 on minispares. These are: http://www.minispare....aspx?pid=33591 and http://www.minispare....aspx?pid=35157. Any clues would be excellent, and thanks for all your help so far

#7 paultrell

paultrell

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 08:04 PM

Hi, i have finally got a pic of it. though it is not well good. On the pic the piece that is leaking if the bit above the 3rd nut in on the pic. Hope this helps someone.

Attached Files

Edited by paultrell, 21 July 2008 - 08:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users