BigDave99

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Local Club: NA

Posted 06 July 2008 - 05:46 PM

Hello Everyone

For reasons that im not going to bore you with im putting a new engine in my 1275 SPI Mayfair, the new engine is also a 1275 but from a metro which i am in the process of reconditioning to the best of my ability before it goes back in!

I do have a few worries though, as the new engine is carb will things work correctly? Iv noticed on the new engine that under the thermostat is the temp sender for the temp gauge. However on my current SPI i have no such sender! Where is the sender for my gauge atm and will i just be able to connect it to the new position under the stat? I have also located where the speedo screws into the new engine but am unsure where my rev counter goes? Will i lose this?

Is there any electrical components that may have gone through the ECU that i will i now have problems with? Or is there nothing to worry about?

Basically i want to know if there is anything that will cause me problems, iv got reasonable mechanical knowledge and have got a very knowledgable bloke to help me do the swap but as im going from SPI to carb (Thank God!) will anything cause me probs?

If you can think of anything else useful that you may have done il be very grateful

Many thanks

Dave

#2 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 05:54 PM

The temperature sender on an SPi is screwed into the bottom of the inlet manifold. The tacho on a Mini is electronic, not mechanical. It doesn't screw in anywhere it takes a trigger feed from the coil. The temperature gauge might run through the ECU and may not be compatible with the earlier sender. to be honest you're best asking a lot of these questions in the injection section, so I'll move your thread over there.

#3 BigDave99

BigDave99

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Local Club: NA

Posted 06 July 2008 - 06:29 PM

Cheers dan, the temp sender then sounds like it can just be extended round to connect into the sender on the front if im lucky. what about the tacho then can i use it in the same way as before?

#4 datsun100a

datsun100a

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Local Club: www.mini-chat.co.uk

Posted 31 July 2008 - 09:32 AM

You can't use the wires from the spi temp sensor. toss the ecu and you can get power from the fuse panel for the coil and pick up the temp wire at the bulkhead, think it is br/wh.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users