minicooper1.3i

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Local Club: na

Posted 09 July 2008 - 07:29 AM

Hi

Went for a test drive in another MPi last night, knowing that there was something wrong with it. I was told that it was gutless on hills and wouldn't rev properly over 2000ish. My first guess before I saw it was that there was something wrong with the stepper motor, but after seeing it, I don't think so anymore. It pulls OK in first and second, but third and fourth are completey dead. There's also a loud sucking of air noise (like when you run it without a filter). Unfortunately my time was very limited and I couldn't do an extensive test drive, or spend long under the bonnet.

When a searched last night the posts that were returned all relate to kanckered vacuum hoses. But the MPi doesn't have one, does it?

I've got a spare engine which I think works OK, so I can nick bits off it for testing purposes.

Where would the sucking noise be coming from? All I can think of is cracked TB. Although I didn't check to see if there actually was an air filter in the housing :errr:

Any suggestions anyone?

Cheers!

#2 v8mini

v8mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts
  • Local Club: Minis on the run

Posted 09 July 2008 - 09:00 AM

there should be a vaccum hose going to the brake servo, is that what the other posts related to ?

definatly sound inlet / vaccum related

#3 minicooper1.3i

minicooper1.3i

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Local Club: na

Posted 09 July 2008 - 09:25 AM

there should be a vaccum hose going to the brake servo, is that what the other posts related to ?

I had thought of that one, but I thought it was only to do with the brake servo. Does it have anything to do with the engine performance as well?

If it was holed, would it draw extra air straight into the inlet manifold, bypassing the filter?

Cheers!

Edited by minicooper1.3i, 09 July 2008 - 09:26 AM.

#4 v8mini

v8mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts
  • Local Club: Minis on the run

Posted 12 July 2008 - 10:28 PM

I had thought of that one, but I thought it was only to do with the brake servo. Does it have anything to do with the engine performance as well?

If it was holed, would it draw extra air straight into the inlet manifold, bypassing the filter?

Cheers!

yep, if the servo hose was holed it could draw extra air in bypassing the filter and carb. also would have a bad effect on you brake performance

Edited by v8mini, 12 July 2008 - 10:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users