4 replies to this topic

#1 KermitStu

KermitStu

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 06:15 PM

am i right in thinking after 1996 starting with 1997 mini and the mini cooper had identical engines in? as my mums boy firend who is a mechanic got me a new oil filter his fram book ( the company who made the original filter) said it should have a certain filter on so he got me that one yet the one i took off said it belonged to a mini cooper 1.3 not the 1275 he thought i had. i though they had the same engine yer belived him as he was the mechanic? whats happening do i really have the mini cooper 1.3 engine i thought i had or is it a 1275 just with the wrong filter conection thingy?

#2 iansmini

iansmini

One Carb Or Two?

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts
  • Local Club: my own SPECIAL one!

Posted 22 July 2008 - 09:36 PM

It no doubt will be a 1275, but the difference being yours will be an mpi mini not spi, they use a different type of oil filter (I think) but still the screw on type.

#3 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 22 July 2008 - 11:36 PM

Spi uses the standard Mini filter, the MPi uses the Rover K series filter

The MPi engines were all the same, Cooper or not. The oil filters for the MPi are all the same. The oil filters for the SPi or any other mini prior, are the same. the MPi and SPi oil filters are different :D

Rover re termed the 1275 as the 1.3 the 'i' just means injection. Im sure yours is the MPi but its close to the crossover year, you have to check if its SPi or MPi, easy way to check, is it front mount or side mount radiator?

#4 KermitStu

KermitStu

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 05:47 AM

no its deffently an mpi so yes it is the same engine as what is in the cooper. how ever i got told the cooper were 1.3 where as the standards where only 1275 i had never heard this before

#5 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 25 July 2008 - 09:09 PM

1.3 is 1275, its not 1.2 as its closer to 1.3 :errr: its just a generalisation 1.3 is litres, 1275 is cc. easier to say 1.3 litres than 1.275 litres, also less lettering on the boot :(

:P

The SPi Cooper is a different engine to the SPi Non Cooper, but the MPi Cooper is exactly the same engine as the MPi non Cooper, excluding the JC Garages S packs :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users