#1 Cian 'the pain' MPI

Cian 'the pain' MPI

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Local Club: mini-chat.co.uk

Posted 27 July 2008 - 10:17 AM

when driving usually in 4th gear i could be cruising along quite happily but if i put my foot half on the throttle she sometimes splutters and chugs but if i put flat to the floor the chugging goes away, i have checked all the hoses and they are where they sould be, cant really get to the root of the problem any help would be great! The engine is an MPI

Edited by Cian 'the pain' MPI, 27 July 2008 - 10:18 AM.

#2 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,418 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 27 July 2008 - 11:33 AM

We were with you right up to "my engine is an MPI" :D

Sounds like you've done all the obvious things, leccy connectors, hoses etc. It does sound like an air bypass thing or possibly lambda sensor?

#3 elvisthepizzaman

elvisthepizzaman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Local Club: Minis of the Rockies

Posted 27 July 2008 - 03:54 PM

I had a similar problem with my mpi engine but it also caused the motor to stall out when I would take it out of gear. It turned out to be some rust on the inside of one of the spark plug wires and the plugs were reading much higher resistance then they were supposed to be due to age. The engine vibrations were causing the plugs to lose connection with the plug wires... I would grab some sandpaper and clean up the contacts on the plugs and the inside connector of the wires to see if it is it...or get a new set along with some new plugs.

Ethel: if you were having problems with your idle it would be the idle air control valve problem but it has nothing to do with anything else. A malfunctioning air bypass valve would be just like having the throttle open more or an manifold leak allowing in more air. The ecu would adapt and inject more fuel to compensate.

Edited by elvisthepizzaman, 27 July 2008 - 04:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users