16 replies to this topic

#1 Malc and Di

Malc and Di

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 10:07 AM

Flipping car is still in the shop. 2 new subframes later, engine steadies, all the suspension. Now it won't start and we can't find the ecu control port thingy.

#2 Dev

Dev

Fiat 500 'Ringer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts
  • Local Club: NF500

Posted 21 July 2008 - 02:07 PM

Have you

a - reset the ECU? i am assuming the engine has been out and everything disconnected?

b - pressed the fuel cut off switch?

c - Is the engine grounded correctly as if not the ECU will cook?

#3 Malc and Di

Malc and Di

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 02:37 PM

Have you

a - reset the ECU? i am assuming the engine has been out and everything disconnected?

b - pressed the fuel cut off switch?

c - Is the engine grounded correctly as if not the ECU will cook?

I'm assuming so. The engine was out to replace the front subby that had split. Paul Hebden (Fastparts) is doing it. He says he's never not been able to locate the port before. the bracket is there for it in the passenger footwell but no way to hook anything up. I'll call in on my way home tonight and see how he's getting on.

#4 Dev

Dev

Fiat 500 'Ringer

• Banned
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 07:40 AM

Malc,

I have never seen the diag socket in the passenger footwell on that car, so i think it may be behind the dash.
However i have a feeling that the ECU may have fried if its not been grounded properly before reconnecting that battery.

Is it turning over at all?
Is it coughing like it wants to start but not doing?
Is it just whirring like it when the fuel cut off is triggered?

#5 Malc and Di

Malc and Di

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 04:12 PM

Malc,

I have never seen the diag socket in the passenger footwell on that car, so i think it may be behind the dash.
However i have a feeling that the ECU may have fried if its not been grounded properly before reconnecting that battery.

We found the diag socket. It was tucked up behind the dash. ECU is fried however. First time in 20 years Paul has ever seen that! Tried a different ECU but that started to burn as well. The loom is all over the place. There's something wrong in the loom. It's been out before and not put back properly. I know this old bloke in Scotland who's got a .303 from the war.

#6 Dev

Dev

Fiat 500 'Ringer

• Banned
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 10:12 AM

Malc,

We found the diag socket. It was tucked up behind the dash. ECU is fried however. First time in 20 years Paul has ever seen that! Tried a different ECU but that started to burn as well. The loom is all over the place. There's something wrong in the loom. It's been out before and not put back properly. I know this old bloke in Scotland who's got a .303 from the war.

Malc,

Never took the loom out, or altered it, however when we changed the 'box over we had the same problem, hence the new ECU. Honestly i think when Paul put it back in he might not have grounded it properly and hence it fried it.

#7 Malc and Di

Malc and Di

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 12:46 PM

Malc,

Malc,

Never took the loom out, or altered it, however when we changed the 'box over we had the same problem, hence the new ECU. Honestly i think when Paul put it back in he might not have grounded it properly and hence it fried it.

No it's a wiring problem because we tried it with another ecu that started to smoke after a while.

#8 Dev

Dev

Fiat 500 'Ringer

• Banned
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 01:09 PM

Malc,

not sure how it can be wiring problem, because it ran before he had the engine out. Unless he changed something while the engine was out, the wiring etc would be the same as before.

I seriously reckon its an earthing problem, due to it happening to me when i had the gear box out.

dev

#9 Malc and Di

Malc and Di

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 03:32 PM

Malc,

not sure how it can be wiring problem, because it ran before he had the engine out. Unless he changed something while the engine was out, the wiring etc would be the same as before.

I seriously reckon its an earthing problem, due to it happening to me when i had the gear box out.

dev

But what did you do apart from changing the ecu? Or was that it? The problem we've got is not wanting to change the ecu in case the new one fries as well. So we've got to try and track down this earth problem. Or maybe just replace the whole loom

#10 maph2

maph2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts
  • Local Club: Poor Boys Warwick

Posted 28 July 2008 - 04:59 PM

has any welding been done to the car?

#11 Dev

Dev

Fiat 500 'Ringer

• Banned
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 07:07 AM

Malc,

dev

But what did you do apart from changing the ecu? Or was that it? The problem we've got is not wanting to change the ecu in case the new one fries as well. So we've got to try and track down this earth problem. Or maybe just replace the whole loom

We changed the ECU and made sure it had a proper earth before reconnecting and it ran fine.

But as maph has said, did they do any welding on the car? If so was the ECU still in and connected?

But then it would be strange that the second ecu would cook.

Make sure its got a good clean earth and it should be ok.

#12 Malc and Di

Malc and Di

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 08:43 AM

Malc,

dev

We changed the ECU and made sure it had a proper earth before reconnecting and it ran fine.

But as maph has said, did they do any welding on the car? If so was the ECU still in and connected?

No welding. Engine was out to replace the front subby, the one that was made of marmalade and chewing gum but that's all. I've got to call Paul in a minute anyway about the woody so I'll see if he's got any further.

#13 Brumski

Brumski

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 09:35 AM

Malc,

dev

Dev... thinking back to when we did the work on the car last year (not the recent gearbox swap...), if I remember correctly the ECU got fried due to a wiring loom connector being incorrectly connected to the coil pack... or something like that...

Reading this, I'm starting to wonder if Fastparts may have done the same.... would explain the 2nd ECU going pop...

#14 Malc and Di

Malc and Di

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 10:24 AM

Malc,

dev

Dev... thinking back to when we did the work on the car last year (not the recent gearbox swap...), if I remember correctly the ECU got fried due to a wiring loom connector being incorrectly connected to the coil pack... or something like that...

Reading this, I'm starting to wonder if Fastparts may have done the same.... would explain the 2nd ECU going pop...

I've just spoken to Paul. It looks like the problem is a break in a wire somewhere. When he connected another ecu it strated up fine, all fine. Then they bolted the ecu on and it started to fry. So in the process of moving it a connection has been lost. Why was the diagnostic port cable-tied up behind the dash?

#15 Dev

Dev

Fiat 500 'Ringer

• Banned
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 10:36 AM

Dont know i didn't do it.

Can only assume a previous owner put it there.

If it was a break in a wire somewhere then surely it wouldn't have fired up?

it has got to be an earth, the only other thing i can think of is they have damaged the loom taking the engine out, because it ran before that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users