#1 Mark S

Mark S

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Local Club: N\A

Posted 30 July 2008 - 03:42 PM

Hi, How much noise should the injector solenoid make? Mine ticks so loudly that the noise transmits into the car (especially on tickover) and is always there unless accelerating on more than half throttle. Is a carb conversion the only cure?
Mark.

#2 minicooper1.3i

minicooper1.3i

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Local Club: na

Posted 30 July 2008 - 05:05 PM

Sure it's coming from the injectors and not your tappets?

#3 Mark S

Mark S

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Local Club: N\A

Posted 30 July 2008 - 08:33 PM

Absolutey, I agree it sounds like a tappet, I've set them up, all nice and quiet.
I have started the car with the air filter off and its really loud and in time with the injector squirting onto the butterfly. Noise is definitely from the injector. should I be able to hear it operating or is it faulty?
Mark.

#4 95 spi cooper

95 spi cooper

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 01:41 AM

Hi, How much noise should the injector solenoid make? Mine ticks so loudly that the noise transmits into the car (especially on tickover) and is always there unless accelerating on more than half throttle. Is a carb conversion the only cure?
Mark.

HI IVE GOT A SAME PROBLEM ON MY SPI COOPER THE INJECTOR DOES MAKE A NOISE LIKE THE TAPPETS
WHEN YOU PUT YOUR EAR NEAR THE FILTER THERES A BIG TICKING NOISE AND THE TAPPETS IS SET TO 0.30MM ?

#5 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 05 January 2009 - 08:25 PM

When you remove the standard airbox, yes the injector does become rather loud.

The real problem isnt the fact that the injector makes a noise. the real problem is that because you are thinking about it, it is all you can hear. Its amazing what the human brain does :)

Dont think about it, and it will eventualy blend in with all the other rattles and taps of these old cars :D

#6 TimC

TimC

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Local Club: SAMOA

Posted 05 October 2009 - 02:13 AM

When you remove the standard airbox, yes the injector does become rather loud.

The real problem isnt the fact that the injector makes a noise. the real problem is that because you are thinking about it, it is all you can hear. Its amazing what the human brain does :)

Dont think about it, and it will eventualy blend in with all the other rattles and taps of these old cars :(

I've been looking for more info on this subject as my "newest" SPI car i own has this problem as well. Its obnoxious how loud it is in comparison to my other SPI cars i own. I've gone lengths into adding more sound deadening on the bonnet, and changing from the ITG pancake filter back to stock box... thinking about adding sound deadening to the stock box as well! haha. Well my other SPI's are not as noisy as this one, and i've considered buying a new whole complete unit to see if that helps. Some injectors are noisy, some arn't. Not my brain playing tricks on me, as i've owned 5 SPI cars, and only experienced this with my newest mini "Jiggen" the fast and noisy SPI.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users