#1 ycming

ycming

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 06:02 PM

Hi everyone,

Just been told that, i can't just get any modified head, but i need one that is made for an SPI?

Am really new to this mini thing, so could someone give a small lecture on what should i look for ??

Thanks
Ming

#2 KermitStu

KermitStu

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 06:24 PM

is this the same for an mpi as well then? might be worth calling mini sport

#3 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 03 August 2008 - 10:52 PM

The reason the head is specific to the injection engines is down to the inlet manifold locating rings. Tunnel porting is also bad. Valve sizes should be limited to 29/37 max but 29/35 is a safer bet. Thats because the injection system runs lean at certain points for fuel economy, and can cause the valve seat between the valves to crack.

MPi is specific as it has a different casting for the extra two mounting holes for the alternator.

You can use any head on an injection engine as long as its unleaded, but you will have to line up and dowel the inlet manifold, possibly block of the heater take off, the bypass, the temperature sender hole, and possibly fabricate a bracket for the alternator if its an MPi.

#4 Widdowmaker

Widdowmaker

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 09:47 PM

Quote Sprocket

"You can use any head on an injection engine as long as its unleaded, but you will have to line up and dowel the inlet manifold, possibly block of the heater take off, the bypass, the temperature sender hole, and possibly fabricate a bracket for the alternator if its an MPi. "

My Spi has a modified head, I dont know what it is - bought it as is. As said above- its got a blanked of heater take off, the tempsender is stil in place in the hole where it whould be but not connected to anything. The heater is still connected up - but it dont do anything.

The head itself is blue, which seems quite strange, but it runs a peach, pulls strong. As I say I have absoulty no idea what it is. Going on the RR at Mini Sport on Friday.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users