#1 lotusk

lotusk

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 10:12 PM

Hi All!

I have just bought a '98 MPI Cooper and have spent all weekend driving it - I love it to bits!

I have noticed that it has a bit of an oil leak however. I had a quick look underneath and it seemed to be on the bottom right of the engine (near the drain plug). I'll jack it up tomorrow and check whether its coming from the drain plug but I just wondered if there is anything else in that area from where it might be coming from?

It seems to have been like it for a while so there is quite a bit of oil which might make it difficult to identify where its coming from! :P

Thanks,

Kieran

#2 lotusk

lotusk

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 08:07 AM

Sorry, I have just been looking through the Haynes and noticed that the drain plug is on the left of the engine as you look at it. The oil leak is on the opposite side to this (bottom right of engine as you look at it from the front of the car).

Thanks!

#3 elvisthepizzaman

elvisthepizzaman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Local Club: Minis of the Rockies

Posted 04 August 2008 - 02:56 PM

could be coming from the crank seal just behind the vibration damper (pulley) or the timing cover or the speedometer drive casing.

#4 minicooper1.3i

minicooper1.3i

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Local Club: na

Posted 04 August 2008 - 04:22 PM

could be coming from the crank seal just behind the vibration damper (pulley) or the timing cover or the speedometer drive casing.

and a dozen other places too :kiss: I suugest you get it up in the air, get underneath and wipe as much of it away as possible. Then when it's running try and see where its coming down from. It may even just be leaking out from under the rocker cover gasket (which are notoriously c**p) and running down to the lowest point.

Good luck finding it though! =]

Edited by minicooper1.3i, 04 August 2008 - 04:22 PM.

#5 Dylan8660

Dylan8660

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 06:39 PM

You can add the drive shaft oil seal in the diff housing to the list of things to check.
Good luck.

#6 lotusk

lotusk

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 07:45 PM

Thanks for your help everyone! I got the car up on some ramps at work this afternoon and cleaned it off. It seems to be coming from the crank pulley/timing chain cover area so i've ordered the parts for this. I couldn't be sure though so wont know for certain until I have a proper look at the weekend :kiss:

I'll let you know when or if I ever find it!

Edited by lotusk, 04 August 2008 - 07:46 PM.

#7 elvisthepizzaman

elvisthepizzaman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 09:10 PM

are you sure you ordered all the parts needed. if its the crank pulley rubber ring then you need to pull the timing cover off as the ring has to be removed from the cover from the inside

#8 lotusk

lotusk

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 03:24 PM

I've ordered a new timing chain cover gasket, timing cover oil seal and a new oil thrower for good luck! Anything else I'll need? :P

are you sure you ordered all the parts needed. if its the crank pulley rubber ring then you need to pull the timing cover off as the ring has to be removed from the cover from the inside

#9 elvisthepizzaman

elvisthepizzaman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 03:45 PM

sounds good to me :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users