#1 AM-DB5

AM-DB5

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 03:23 AM

Hi,

I have a BONE STOCK '93 1.3 SPi Cooper. It won't idle down to the prescribed 850 rpm tickover once warmed up and usually wavers a bit around 1,100 give or take.

The car has 56K km.

Occasionally when braking to a full stop, it will try to idle down yet will die unless the throttle is blipped in anticipation
of this embarassing event.

Even if I'm daydreaming and it dies, it starts right back up just fine and resumes the high idle.

It has plenty of power, runs through the gears just fine and gets down the road smoothly no hiccups or coughs.

Oh yeah.. one more thing... key switched on but not cranked... fuel pump runs but EMU never shuts it off no matter how
long one waits.

I DO know my way around an f.i. system and automotive electronics, but I'm in the U.S. where troubleshooting knowledge and tools
for SPi and MPi classic Minis and their idiocyncracies is scarce.

So, I thought I'd first ask for your knowledge and experience before running off in silly directions throwing unnecessary
boxes full of parts at it.

Where do you rekon I should start? Sensors, regulator, or just an EMU gone stupid?

O

#2 gordioda

gordioda

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 09:06 PM

my SPI does the same, although mines done 92k miles now which might be half the problem, i remember reading somewhere that half the problems with fuelling or dodgy idling can be caused by fuel blocking the MAP sensor, i think theres a pinned topic on it in this section

#3 Big Man

Big Man

Put your trousers on---You're Nicked!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 08:39 PM

Hi mate,

Right exact same issue, it was a split connection that goes form the back of the engine to the MAP (Flame trap - the small rectangle black box that clips to the bulkhead with a line in and a line out to the ecu. I just checked the connections chaned a cracked "L" piece and refitted it woks a treat.

Cheers

BM

#4 Joloke08

Joloke08

Not banned but still weird

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 08:53 PM

Boris Does the same i know its not the answer but i find if you turn him off then back on again the second idle is much better :dontgetit:
Ill have to look into it though now as it may be the same thing on Boris and we might be able to fix him properly?

Thanx for the advice ill check it out :techsupport:

Huggz
Jodie :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users