Photo
- - - - -

Police! I'm Sure They Have A Problem With Mini's!

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#136 998dave

998dave

998cc's Of Dave Goodness

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,566 posts
  • Name: Dave

Posted 16 September 2008 - 11:57 AM

I think I'll throw in a comment or two...

I've been stopped three times in my life, always on the motorbike...

1) Accelerating away from a set of lights, changing into second while giving it some welly, front wheel lifted, police car in a side junction saw me, and pulled out to follow, I pulled over and stopped in a layby before he'd caught up. Seemed only polite, a quick word asking me to calm down a bit and he was on his way.

2) Same road, riding on my bike, and pick up a Volvo pursuit car, after about a mile he flashes lights and siren, so I pull over, (into the same layby). He comes and asks me if it's my bike etc. then says it registered miles away, I simply gave him the address and explained I was up there at uni, apparently a spate of bike thefts near London and bikes being moved up north, so absolutely fine, I'd rather he caught someone who had stolen my bike - it was a bit unique. Next five minutes chatting about the bike and off I go.

3) Tax disc check point, pulled over, and asked about tax disc, showed the copper where it was, attached, (couldn't be seen as mounted facing side), and he let me on my way - no problems.

In each case the common points are my bike was perfectly legal, MOT'd, taxed and insured with all modifications declared. I was polite with the police and answered any questions, and was treated courteously in return.

The one time I've even spoken to a copper in the mini I'd crashed after hitting Diesel on a roundabout, and called them as I couldn't move my mangled mini by myself, and considered it to be in a dangerous location. The guy turned up, put warning signs out, and towed me to a safe place to wait for the AA.

Furthermore he was there when another car lost it in the same place, and made a note of this in his report, before calling in to get it cleaned up. Also gave me details incase I had a problem claiming insurance, saying he'd back me up if required.

I think you need to fix your mini a bit!

Dave

#137 Q_M

Q_M

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 12:01 PM

The speed limits are in place for people who can't drive properly and for cars that don't stop fast enough. Its a blanket for everyone that should be followed (can't say I do though).

A Porsche will stop from 50 probably faster than a normal car will from 30, but you should still be doing 30?

On the other hand articulated lorries can do 30 in a 30 and still take about 10 miles to stop ;D(

Its just a blanket for everyone.

#138 CharlieBrown

CharlieBrown

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,587 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 16 September 2008 - 12:03 PM

Ha ha, I remember you telling me about you being pulled on the bike.

Ive never been stopped by the law, but then I drive sensibly...most of the time ;D

#139 Aliceinwonderland

Aliceinwonderland

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 12:19 PM

i think sometimes the police just get a little bored of sitting at the side of the road all day. see a nice mini and think they will take their chance and have a butchers!
I've only had one run in with the police when i "accidently" got punched in the face and my nose broken and the police for some reason thought it was my boyfriend who did it, when he was infact the one who defended me! Think the guy who did it actually got away with it as well. ow. They didnt seem to understand the situation too well either.

#140 Juju

Juju

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,620 posts
  • Local Club: Antisocial club (members = 1)

Posted 16 September 2008 - 12:20 PM

I've only been pulled over once.
On my driving lesson.
In Matilda.
In the dark & rain.
Mr Plod followed us at a distance for about half an hour before pulling us over right in front of my house.
My driving instructor pooped her pants. She rolled down the window, and he lent in to tell me that I'd left my fog lights on.
I think he was bored.

The only other time I had to phone them to inform them that Matilda had broken down in rush hour traffic on a 60mph road in the outside lane. I was worried there would be an accident. They apologised that they didn't have any free units to come to my aid, but they kept phoning back to check I was OK. ;D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users