Photo

10x7 Golf Cart Wheels. They Should Work?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 rcbamm

rcbamm

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 02:02 AM

I'v asked this before but I think in a different forum.

This website www.golfcarttirestore.com has some new 10x7 wheels that have caught my eye and would look SICK on a Mini (check out the pics) And also, these wheels are only $185 for the set! (102 pounds!)

I'v always had the wonder "Golf cart wheels should work". They have awesome styles and now I'v just read that this place sells DOT high speed rated golf cart tires for ROAD use. well, if the tire is rated for high speed road use, then the wheel should be rated for high speed road use right? well I just emailed this store questioning them if the wheels are road worthy.

Now the Crusader golf cart wheels and the Phoenix golf cart wheels are just beautiful, if they will work on a mini, it will give any mini a kick arrs look that no one else has.... yet.... that's if they'll fit. they say they have a 4 on 4 lug pattern, and from what I know that is a mini lug pattern right? Also, they are 10"x7" wide, alot of you may be thinking that they are to wide, but, what if you used the same tire you would use on a 10x6 ultralight wheel? I love that look when the wheel sticks out farther then the tire and this would probably acheive that look maybe? SHOOT! I forgot to ask in the email what the offset is, from the pictures it looks pretty deep. I did ask for more detailed pictures though.

I'm asking for your opinion on this peoples and also asking if any one has ever experimented with golf cart wheels and a mini before. I'm fixing to go to a local golf cart shop and bring my CE's hub in to see if a golf cart wheel will fit...

-Dan

Edit: added the 14 spoke 10x7 wheels I also fancy alot!

Attached Files

Edited by rcbamm, 01 September 2008 - 02:07 AM.

#2 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,215 posts
  • Local Club: central minis

Posted 01 September 2008 - 02:14 AM

they look great and sound like excellent value, but would they really be good enough for the stresses of road use, on a vehicle that weighs so much more than a golf cart?

also, is the pcd for the wheel nuts correct? and the rear off-set?

keep us posted if you go for some :shy:

#3 rcbamm

rcbamm

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 02:22 AM

The pcd should be right? when I measured my CE's wheels they were 4"x4" measuring in a x pattern.

If I go to the local golf cart shop and see if my hub will actually fit, I just might try a set of these wheels. I know I will probably need spacers or spacered drums.. If they don't work afterall I can alsways sell them again to a golf cart owner.

Ohyeah, I also read that the tires can handle a load up to something like 1080lbs per tire. If the tire can hold it, then the wheel can.

Edited by rcbamm, 01 September 2008 - 02:23 AM.

#4 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • 7,215 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 03:08 AM

cool - sounds like it needs testing - good luck :shy:

#5 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 01 September 2008 - 06:43 AM

its not just the speed rating you need to look at

the weight rating is as important

#6 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 01 September 2008 - 07:53 AM

been round this before...

http://www.theminifo...mp;hl=golf cart

#7 rcbamm

rcbamm

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 05:12 PM

I would probably never use "golf cart tires" but I think the wheels have protential with a Mini....

Edit: I think these wheels listed in the first post have a -1" offset which would make it good for the fellows like me who want the wheels to stick out on their Mini

Edited by rcbamm, 01 September 2008 - 05:14 PM.

#8 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • 13,129 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 01 September 2008 - 05:17 PM

Anybody got another can of worms??

This one seems to have been opened!!!!

#9 garrett3

garrett3

One Carb Or Two?

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 05:27 PM

Sorry but the wheels are not strong enough.

They are rated at just 600 lbs ( 272.73 kgs) where as even the cheapest of sand cast superlites are rated at 500 kgs (thats 1100 lbs) per wheel.

The rating of 500 kgs on the superlite is a safety rating for a road going wheel designed to travel in excess of 100mph.

600 lbs safety limit on a wheel designed to do around 10-20mph.

This means that on heavy cornering the superlites can take all of the 750kgs that a mini has to offer on just two wheels (two wheels is 1000kgs) plus any passengers and still withstand a bump.

Now lets look at the golf cart wheels.. not even 550kgs for two wheels. I wonder what will happen on hard cornering or even light cornering over 10mph with two passengers and a pot hole... HMMMMMMM. NASTY!

They look great and if they were safe I for one would order a set tomorrow but sadly they are not. No matter what people try and tell you.

#10 rcbamm

rcbamm

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 08:39 PM

Oh thats a downer :D

#11 garrett3

garrett3

One Carb Or Two?

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:06 PM

Oh thats a downer :D

Yeah tell me about it, Some of the 12x7 wheels are stunning!

#12 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • 7,215 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:10 PM

good for a show car though ?

#13 jplonie

jplonie

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Local Club: www.lcmoc.com

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:36 PM

I'm sure there would still be some potential if you had a show car.
Could switch them over after you park it up. Wouldn't be a huge loss of money if you only used them a few times a year because they're so cheap!

ahh... just read roofless' :D
(By the way roofless how many times your car pictured in this months Miniworld!? 4 I counted! Sorry to vear off topic.)
J

Edited by jplonie, 01 September 2008 - 09:38 PM.

#14 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • 7,215 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 11:15 PM

I'm sure there would still be some potential if you had a show car.
Could switch them over after you park it up. Wouldn't be a huge loss of money if you only used them a few times a year because they're so cheap!

ahh... just read roofless' :D
(By the way roofless how many times your car pictured in this months Miniworld!? 4 I counted! Sorry to vear off topic.)
J

really??

#15 rcbamm

rcbamm

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 12:26 AM

I still think they're worth trying... I'v found a couple of Japanese Mini truck importers here in the US and they sell the 12" wheels for the Jap mini trucks and I know they top at around 70mph and weigh around 1400lbs plus can handle a 1000lbs load....

EDit: Added mini truck pic with 12" golf cart wheels.

Attached Files

• Attached File  pic1.jpg   19.04K   23 downloads

Edited by rcbamm, 02 September 2008 - 12:31 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users