9 replies to this topic

#1 who_loves_the_mini?

who_loves_the_mini?

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 08:56 AM

I will soon be doing a fair few motorway miles so looking at upgrading my mini in all areas but focusing on the engine to start with. I know people say leave things alone if reliability is needed but I would like a bit more power :D

So I am thinking of fitting:

Upgraded head - not sure which but im looking at vmaxscart as heard very good things about them
1.5:1 rockers - might be roller or might be cast from minispares
52mm Throttle body

The other option is to fit a 90bhp kit from one of the various companies. This may work out cheaper and I would get more bits from it.

I already have a decent exhaust on the car.

Any oppinions?

#2 Cian 'the pain' MPI

Cian 'the pain' MPI

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Local Club: mini-chat.co.uk

Posted 06 September 2008 - 05:33 PM

I will soon be doing a fair few motorway miles so looking at upgrading my mini in all areas but focusing on the engine to start with. I know people say leave things alone if reliability is needed but I would like a bit more power >_<

Upgraded head - not sure which but im looking at vmaxscart as heard very good things about them
52mm Throttle body

The other option is to fit a 90bhp kit from one of the various companies. This may work out cheaper and I would get more bits from it.

Any oppinions?

I have a 52mm throttle body and it made a great difference and was easy to fit! Makes the throttle a lot smoother and when you floor it it has a bit more get up and go! I would personally just stick to a stage 1 kit and take the cat out and add the throttle body, thats what im running and its perfectly 'nippy'

#3 who_loves_the_mini?

who_loves_the_mini?

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 06:05 PM

I have just picked up a 52mm throttle body, modified airbox and LCB from my brother for a bargain price so I will get those fitted. I have also decided to save for a modified head and swap the rockers over and then will leave at that. Should be nice and nippy but also reliable.

#4 Cian 'the pain' MPI

Cian 'the pain' MPI

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 12:33 PM

I have just picked up a 52mm throttle body, modified airbox and LCB from my brother for a bargain price so I will get those fitted. I have also decided to save for a modified head and swap the rockers over and then will leave at that. Should be nice and nippy but also reliable.

Thats what i hope to do in the future too, you dont need to go OTT on the a series, when you start boring cylinders and changing gearboxes etc it stops becoming a daily drive and becomes more of a weekend car, and as my mate always tells me people with modified engines always tell you how quick they are but never tell the troubles they have had and how many times they have been out with problems!

#5 perryman1001

perryman1001

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 17 September 2008 - 03:52 PM

I will soon be doing a fair few motorway miles so looking at upgrading my mini in all areas but focusing on the engine to start with. I know people say leave things alone if reliability is needed but I would like a bit more power :dontgetit:

52mm Throttle body

Any oppinions?

I have a 52mm throttle body and it made a great difference and was easy to fit! Makes the throttle a lot smoother and when you floor it it has a bit more get up and go! I would personally just stick to a stage 1 kit and take the cat out and add the throttle body, thats what im running and its perfectly 'nippy'

Have you taken the centre cat out? if so does it still pass the mot and does it make a massive difference to the noise? cheers

#6 Cian 'the pain' MPI

Cian 'the pain' MPI

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 12:54 PM

Yes it does make it a lot louder, but it depeneds on the exhaust i have a stainless DTM (OTT i know) but thats what i like, the louder the better!, (but thats my opinion) As yet i havnt put it throught the MOT with the cat out cause i just decided to take the cat out after the previous MOT, but my mate was running with a cat and then went to a straight through system and his passed fine, there is always a big argument about cats for mot but it should be fine, the worst scenario is that it will fail and you will just have to put it back in and re do the test

Edited by Cian 'the pain' MPI, 19 September 2008 - 12:56 PM.

#7 perryman1001

perryman1001

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 01:11 PM

ah right ok then, sounds good. and i have 3" DTM aswell :lol: much to most peoples dismay on here >_<

does it affect fuel economy do you know? im having a few problems with mine at the moment burning way too much fuel

cheers

#8 Cian 'the pain' MPI

Cian 'the pain' MPI

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 01:20 PM

i have noticed an inrease in fuel consumtion since i done all the engine mods, but nothing rediculous. Is it due a service this can contribute to poor running, also putting a fuel injector cleaner into the petrol does help too, i love the DTMs most mini folk say they are OTT but they sound bloddy great!

#9 perryman1001

perryman1001

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 01:48 PM

yeye totally agree... specially in 2nd gear >_< and mot was 3 months ago and i think im gonna have a look to see if exhaust is blowing and if theres a leak...

hate it when it does this lol

#10 Dylan8660

Dylan8660

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 05:50 PM

The way it sounds probably has more to do with fuel consumption than anything else lol. :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users