16 replies to this topic

#1 Telejmp

Telejmp

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 06:44 PM

Ok,. ive seen a centre speedo going for cheap, could I just disconnect mine, and plug this one in? or are the dash's different?
Mine is an 89' racing flame, and I *think* the car its from was a mini city, but im not 100% as I saw a few cars at the scrapyard today.
Also, does £10 seem like a reasonable price, thats how much the guy said,
If It cant be fitted to mine, and this is a good price, does anyone else want it? and ill pick it up for them, as long as they pay delivery.
pEaCe
Dom

#2 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 27 February 2004 - 08:15 PM

Good price and so long as you get all the suround for it too its worth getting. The only thing is tho, you'll need the cable that goes with it, and possibly the drive piece the other end of the cable goes in in the gear box.

The hardest bit is wiring it all up. If you can, then the plug and wires that are on the back of it too, then its just a case of joining the wires to your loom.

I tried converting from centre speedo to later type once, but it didnt work quite right. But then again I'm not a sparky and i didnt know what I was doin!

#3 Telejmp

Telejmp

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 28 February 2004 - 03:44 PM

Thanks bluemini (red)
Right , ive got it out!! With the surround and everything.woohoo.
Unfortunately I was loosing too much blood and getting too cold to try and get the cable off the gearbox. I could reach it, but my numb fingers couldnt turn it with enough strength, lol. I might go back for it if I definately need it.
Ive got all the wires though I think, there is a white connector on the end.
Should I just be able to plug the connector from the old instrument cluster into this one?
Also, I have a rev counter on my mini, will it be ok just to leave this off? I
never use it anyway, thats what my ears are for, hehe.
Does anyone know where I can get a diagram of the back of a center speedo?some of the bulb holders have come out of the sockets, and im not sure which ones are which.
I think all of this will be worth it in the end, I think the centre speedos look so much better than those nasty 3 dial black boxes.
pEaCE
Dom
Also, ive been thinking about building a two part (left and right)dashboard with a 6x9 either side of the centre speedo (If they will fit, havent looked yet) Does anyone know if anyone has done this before? Ive never seen it done.
thanks again.

#4 Telejmp

Telejmp

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 29 February 2004 - 10:15 AM

Also, will the speedo read the right speed for my car. I wish I checked more carefully the model of the original car. But, if the speedo came off an 850 model, will it read the same speed on a 998 model?
Im going to have a poke about today and see if I can figure it out, then all I need it a temperature gague and Im sorted, hehe.
pEaCE
Dom,

#5 Telejmp

Telejmp

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 29 February 2004 - 01:46 PM

now im angry, I was just removing that card dashboard thingy to the left of the instrument cluster, and I actually snapped the air vent off. Behind the plate had rusted through, now there is a big hole there and you can see to the wheel arch, god dammit. I dont know what to do now, aaagh, why oh why.
Any suggestions?
pEaCe
Dom

#6 Al*

Al*

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts
  • Local Club: ERC / SMOA

Posted 29 February 2004 - 02:54 PM

cut out the rust, weld in a new piece of steel...drill a hole the right size for the vent with a hole saw and paint er. And there you have it! If you want to know more PM me and I'll send pics...I did the same thing.

Al

#7 Telejmp

Telejmp

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 29 February 2004 - 05:21 PM

Thanks Al, you will have mail in a sec, when ive written it, hehe.
thanks again ,
pEaCE
DOm

#8 Al*

Al*

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 03:59 PM

Hey Dom here they are as promised...the pics aren't as hot as I thought they were but I think I'll be able to get the point across.

Ok in this pic you can see that I have already cut out the major rot. To make a template of the piece you need to fit in your hole just stick some cardboard behind it and draw with a marker.(quite simple) Oh. be sure to measure where the hole goes before you cut it all apart. for example using a paint marker jot a line on the inner fender wall somewhere and measure to the center of the vent hole, then jost right the figures on a piece of paper and don't lose em. To check what needs to be cut out use a pointed hammer and hit the areas and if it feels good and solid leave it...you can always just grind surface rust off.

Al

Attached Files

#9 Al*

Al*

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 04:07 PM

ok. now in this pic it's not to clear but you can see what i have circled in red. this pic shows the new sheets of steel welded in. when it is cut to the right size just hold it in place with a magnet until you get it welded in place. once its welded in and you've ground your welds down your ready to drill that new hole. just do the measuring from your pre-marked line and mark where the hole goes. find out the correct size of the hole from the plastic vent itself. the diameter of the hole needs to be the same size as that of the vent. drill this hole using a hole saw ( it's a very large bit that goes on the end of your drill) if you don't know what this is just ask and I'll post a pic of it. well thats about all I can say with the pics I took (wish I took more photos) oh well Ihope that helps yah. Dom. and post pics of the rotten section maybe I can give you tips from that.

Al

Attached Files

#10 Telejmp

Telejmp

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 04:41 PM

Hey,
Do you think it would be at all possible to repair this from inside the car?
My wings are in quite good condition and it would be a shame to have to remove them.
Thanks a lot,
pEaCe
Dom

#11 Al*

Al*

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 04:47 PM

I tink that between working from the inside of the car and up underneath the wings it should work alright. Did those pics help?

Al

#12 Telejmp

Telejmp

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 11:34 AM

Yeah, thanks Al, the pics gave me a good Idea as to how it looked from the otherside. I think im going to try and weld the hole up from the inside of the car (or at least ask nicely if daddy wouldnt mind having a go, hehe).
I think ive got a leaky windscreen seal, and thats where the problem has come from,
pEaCe
Dom

#13 siggy

siggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 20 March 2004 - 11:49 PM

Moss sell a wiring loom to convert from offset to center speedo

Siggy

#14 Telejmp

Telejmp

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 11:23 AM

aaaaaagh, really siggy, where could I find this?
Thanks a lot,
pEaCE
DOm

#15 bumblebee

bumblebee

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 02:35 PM

If you get a wiring loom to convert its easy wiring the clock, all you have to do is fit the bulbs, turn the sidelights on and touch the bulbholder against the speedo (remember to attatch the earth wire to the speedo 1st, its near the top on an 8mm bolt post.) when you touch the clock with the bulbholder the bulb will illuminate, there are you instrument lights, they should have a reg and green wire if i remember correctly. you should be able to figure out then where they go, basically not where the ignition light, indicator light or main beam lights are! then the main beam bulb has two wires on it, so all you have to do is put your full beam on and it will illuminate, put it in the back of the clock behing the small blue spot under the glass. Ignition light will illuminate when you turn the ignition 2 clicks, that goes behind the red spot. indicator light goes at the very top of the clock, then its usually hit and miss with the fuel gauge etc, i think there is a voltage stabiliser on the back too, that has 2 green wires and a black wire(or 2 on the same terminal)

any problems, let me know and i will go and double check mine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users